Q: What About Laser Treatments For Toenail Fungus
A: Some clinics and spas offer laser treatment for toenail fungus and tout it as a big breakthrough. The fact is, however, that laser treatments are expensive, and there is no compelling evidence they are any better than OTC treatments . They can also be painful, and may damage surrounding tissue. Also, you stand just as good a chance of the fungus coming back after laser treatments as you do with any other type of treatment.
What Tests Will Be Done To Diagnose Toenail Fungus
Your healthcare provider will probably take a small sample from underneath your nail to further analyze it. Viewing the cells under a microscope can confirm a toenail fungus diagnosis. If the initial test is negative, a scraping can be sent to see if the fungus grows out in a culture. This also helps your healthcare provider identify the type of fungus.
Toenail Fungus Treatments Dont Interfere With Your Life
Many medical treatments require that a person take time out from their busy day to visit the doctors office or hospital. Not toenail fungus treatments. They can be done in just a few minutes in the privacy of your home. No wrestling with traffic, paying for parking, or waiting in line in the doctors office to be called.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is Gelish Nail Polish
Apple Cider Vinegar For Toenail Fungus
Treating toenail fungus with apple cider vinegar is also a common practice. Apple cider vinegar is a common kitchen staple available in almost every house.
Many people wonder how the apple cider vinegar can kill toenail fungus? well, the apple cider vinegar has two acids, the maleic acid and the acetic acid.
Both these acids are meant to disturb the pH of the toenail fungus and ultimately kill it.
Having apple cider vinegar as a treatment of nail fungus is quite long. It will take almost 6 to 7 months to kill toenail fungus.
To get fast results you need to add it in your diet as well to strengthen your immune system.
All its ingredients are very common, and you can have them whenever needed, but instead of taking each antifungal and immunity booster you must have a single supplement for it.
Ways to use apple cider vinegar to treat toenail fungus
- Make a foot soak, making a foot soak is quite easy and it will only take a few minutes. Add two tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in two liters of water. Soak your feet in it for almost 30 minutes a day.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with baking soda. As baking soda is already a home remedy for nail fungus, mixing it with apple cider vinegar will only reinforce its effect. You need to make a paste of the two and apply on the nail fungus with a Q-tip.
Pros of using apple cider vinegar for nail fungus
Cons of using the apple cider vinegar as a remedy for nail fungus
Toenail Fungus Treatments Are Effective
Lets start right off with the most important benefit of toenail fungus treatments: they work. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but they work. Granted, the sooner you catch the infection and begin treatment, the better and faster they work. But even for deep-seated fungal infections, they can generate remarkable improvement in fairly short order for fairly short money.
Read Also: How To Apply Impress Press On Nails
When Are The Different Treatments Considered
Most doctors recommend treating nail fungus with nail polish or cream if
- not much more than half of the nail is affected by the fungus,
- the base of the nail is not infected, and
- only some nails are affected.
Topical treatment is also usually recommended for children. One reason for this is that most oral medications arent suitable for children. Another reason is that children have thinner nails that grow more quickly, so its assumed that treatment with nail polish or creams is more likely to work in children than in adults. White superficial onychomycosis is also often treated with a nail polish or cream.
If several nails are infected by the fungus, or if the infection has spread out more on the affected nails, its usually necessary to take oral medication. And if the infection started at the base of the nail, its highly likely that only tablets will help.
Nail Fungus Treatment For Toenail Toenail Fungus Treatment Toe Nail Fungus Treatment Extra Strength Nail Restoring Solution For Discolored And Damaged Fingernail And Toenail
- Treatment for Fungus – This nail fungus treatment for toenail is an advanced combination of science and nature to help support the removal of fingernail and toenail fungus under and around the nail.
- Simple to Use – Simple and easy to use brush applicator, apply remedy to the skin at the base of the cuticle and at the edge of each infected nail 2-3 times daily. Allow the solution five minutes to absorb.
- Powerful Formula – Loosens the damaged layer to reveal smoother nails for a visible difference. Our toenail fungus treatment helps reduce discoloration and thickness while it hydrates and exfoliates brittle nails to improve the appearance of nails.
- Strengthens Nails – The effective toe nail fungus treatment extra strength will help remove damaged layers and restore your nails back to their healthy appearance combatting various degrees of toenail fungus.
- Natural, Safe & Effective – The formula is powerful and an extremely effective and natural fingernail and toenail fungus treatment and has no side effects. It is effective nail fungus treatment for toenail.
Recommended Reading: What Time Does The Nail Salon Close
Coconut Oil For Toenail Fungus
Coconut is one of the most amazing moisturizing oil.
As far as the toenail fungus is concerned coconut oil is one of the amazing remedies.
It has been known for its anti-fungal and anti-microbial attributes.
How to use coconut oil for nail fungus treatment?
- Apply it directly twice a day.
- Apply coconut oil mixed with an essential oil.
- You can use coconut oil with baking soda as well, but it will not be as effective as the separate remedies.
- Mix coconut oil with honey and apply every day for 30 minutes.
- Mix garlic cloves with coconut oil, heat the mixture, and apply twice a day.
Pros of using coconut oil for nail fungus
- Very affordable remedy.
- Softens the skin around the fungal nails & nail itself too.
Cons of using vinegar
- Takes so many months or even more than a year to cure the fungal nails.
- Will not cure the toenail fully.
Note: For a detailed guide on using the Coconut Oil in order to treat your toenail fungus in the best possible and safe way and also to know how it performed for one of the patient, you can check our complete Case study and review guide below:
So, these were all the best 15 treatments to kill and cure the toenail fungus which include the best supplements and the best of the natural and home remedies for toenail fungus.
But now, the big Question that would arise in your mind is that What is best treatment for toenail fungus?
Totclear Nail Repair Treatment For Toenail And Fingernailtoenail Nail Treatmentnail Repair Pen Renew Damaged Discolored Foot & Toenails 2 Pcs
Effective & Fast – TOTCLEAR Newest formula Solution can gently and effectively in toenails, Nail, Athletes foot, and Jock Itch.
Suitable & Cruelty-free – The clear liquid applies easily with the included brush applicator Suitable for all skin types.
Painless & Deeply – TOTCLEAR Nail Repair Treatment Pen Designed by using Active ingredients to deeply to the root, will give you a painless experience to get rid of, such as toenails, nails, Athletes foot, and Jock Itch.
Easy to Use – TOTCLEAR Special designed brush applicator that helps apply the clear liquid onto the affected areas, visible improvements in a few weeks.
Premium Quality – TOTCLEAR Newest Solution designed with the premium solution can effectively restore discoloration, and brittle and back to health.
Recommended Reading: How To Clear Nail Fungus
What You Need To Know About Onychomycosis
Onychomycosis is the scientific name for nail fungus. The condition can be caused by a number of things, such as an injury to the nail. A weakened immune system makes it difficult to fight off the fungi. Diabetes also increases the risk of fungal nail infections. These treatments are often painful and require several months of treatment. Usually, the best option for treating nail fungus is to consult a doctor and seek treatment.
One of the first things to do is visit your primary care physician, who can prescribe a prescription for an anti-fungal medication. The medication can be applied to the affected area and is designed to work on the infected area. However, it is recommended that people with a serious infection consult a medical practitioner before starting the treatment. Topical medications require daily application and can affect other medical conditions. The best treatment is a combination of oral and topical medications.
If you have a fungal infection, you must avoid wearing shoes or socks. While you should not walk while wearing shoes, you should avoid using artificial nails. If your toe is impacted, it is important to have your nail trimmed straight across. If possible, wear comfortable socks and change your shoes in public places. A doctor will often send the clippings to a lab for identification. Changing your socks and wearing sneakers is also recommended.
When Would You Need A Prescription
Prescription antifungal creams might be recommended by your provider if your fungal infection doesnt go away, gets worse, or keeps coming back after using OTC creams. And there are some fungal infections for which OTC creams wont be effective at all.
In these cases, your provider can determine the best prescription option for you. Contact your healthcare provider before using OTC antifungal creams if:
The infection covers a large area of your body
You have a weakened immune system
Youre not sure if you have a vaginal yeast infection or a urinary tract infection
Some areas of the body are difficult to treat with OTC antifungal creams. Ringworm on the scalp and fungal infections of the nails or the beard area arenât usually able to be treated with topical medications. However, there are prescription-only nail solutions ciclopirox and efinaconazole that can be used for nail fungal infections.
Creams arent as effective in these areas because the hair and nails get in the way of the medication making contact with the skin. These usually require oral antifungal medications that can only be prescribed by your provider.
Don’t Miss: How To Buy Gelish Nail Polish
What Are Treatments For Toenail Fungus
Do you need to treat your nail fungus? Maybe it doesn’t hurt, and the yellow, thick nails don’t bother you.
But nail fungus doesn’t go away by itself. And if you don’t treat it, there’s a chance it could get worse. It could spread to other nails or through your body. It could cause pain when you walk.
There are a number of ways to take care of it, including:
Nonprescription options. You can buy antifungal creams, gels, and nail polish at the store and online without a prescription. You might want to try one of them first if the infection doesn’t look bad. Some people also swear by home remedies like menthol rub, tea tree oil, mouthwash, or snakeroot extract — but studies show mixed results.
Prescription polish and creams. Your foot doctor will likely trim your nail and file away its dead layers. They may also take a piece of your nail and send it to the lab to make sure itâs really a fungus and to find out what type it is.
The doctor might suggest an antifungal drug that you paint on your nails. This may work on its own, or they may suggest you take it with antifungal pills.
Prescription medications. One of several antifungal pills may help. They work, but it may take many months to do the job. They also come with side effects like nausea, vomiting, and headaches. They may cause liver damage too, so your doctor will watch you closely while you take them. Be sure to tell them about any other meds youâre taking — some antifungal pills might not work well with them.
What Are The Side Effects Of Jublia
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. A healthcare provider can advise you on side effects. If you experience other effects, contact your pharmacist or a healthcare provider. You may report side effects to the Food and Drug Administration at fda.gov/medwatch or 1-800-FDA-1088.
Also Check: Who Can Treat Toenail Fungus
How Can I Prevent Toenail Fungus
Theres no way to guarantee you wont get toenail fungus. But you can take several steps to help prevent it:
- Avoid going barefoot in communal areas such as public showers, locker rooms and swimming pools. Most people pick up fungus in these situations. It helps to wear flip flops in these public areas.
- If you have a family member with foot fungus or nail fungus, try to use a different shower or wear flip flops in the shower to avoid coming in contact with it.
- Trauma due to accidental or aggressive clipping of the nails can turn into portals of entry for the fungus.
- Clean your nail trimmer before using it.
- Dont tear or rip your toenails on purpose.
- If you have diabetes, follow all foot care recommendations from your healthcare provider.
- Keep your feet dry. Make sure to fully dry your feet after a shower.
- Soak toenails in warm water before cutting them. Or you can cut your nails after a shower or bath.
- Trim toenails straight across .
- Wear shoes that fit correctly. They shouldnt be too loose or tight around the toes.
Nail Fungus Treatment For Toenailtoe Nail Fungus Treatment Extra Strength Effective Fingernail And Toenail Fungus Killerstopping Fungus Growth And Restoring Healthy Nails
- SAFE AND EASY TO USE: Our powerful formula is an extremely effective nail repair solution but is also safe for use.Avoid product contamination with the smart pen design of this toe nail fungus treatment. Tip the pen until the product goes out of the brush for an even and thorough coating application.
- Highly Effective: Quickly visible improvements can be achieved within 2-4 weeks. Recommended period of use: approx. 4-12 weeks, Depends on the degree of Nail issues.
- NAIL Repair: Our Toenail Fungus Treatment is for the care of cracked, rough, nail discolorations, brittle and split toenails and fingernails. Gives the nails natural shine and helps the nails to smooth and revive. Strengthens and protects at the same time. All you need for a healthy nail appearance, and to maintain this.
- FOR BEST RESULTS: it is recommended that you apply this toenail fungus killer 2-3 times per day. Hydrating and fortifying your nails several times daily will eliminate discoloration and make your nails stronger and healthier.
- GUARANTEE:If you have any questions about the item, please feel free to contact us. If after trying our product, you are not satisfied, return it for a full refund!
Read Also: How To Start Your Own Nail Salon Business
Nail Anatomy And Onychomycosis Infection
Figure 1 shows the composition of the nail, including the nail plate , nail bed and nail matrix.
Figure 1: Nail anatomy and physiology
The nail plate and nail bed are joined by layers of hard, translucent, keratinised cells. The nail bed and nail matrix are vascular components of the nail, with nail cells located within the nail matrix where the nail plate is formed. The thickness of the nail plate determines the length of the matrix
- Apply cosmetic nail varnishes or artificial nails
- Walk without footwear in public areas
- Cut nails too short.
Donât Miss: Fiona Frills Nails
Ariella Nail Fungus Treatment
O-hydroxybenzoic acid is a powerful antifungal agent and is at the heart of the Ariella Nail Fungus Treatment formula. Ariella mixes it with other ingredients that attack the fungus cell walls and facilitate the activity of the O-hydroxybenzoic acid.
What we like: Ariella Nail Fungus Treatment goes after nail fungus with a potent one-two punch that weakens it and then takes it out. Other ingredients restore the nail tissue once it is free of the fungi.
Flaws: Must use two or three times per day in order to see benefits.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Dry Brittle Nails
Toenail Fungus Treatments Are Simple
Compared to something like laser treatment, the OTC toenail fungus treatments on our list are the definition of simple. Most take only a couple of minutes to apply once per day. They do not require any special equipment, there is no muss or fuss involved and no pain. Simply apply the medication, give it a minute to dry, put your socks and shoes on, and get on with your day.
Doctors Weigh Best Treatments
The best treatment for fungal nail infections is a prescription that your dermatologist can prescribe that you take every day for two-to-three months. The pill is not for everyone, since oral antifungals can interact with other medications and can affect the liver.
Fortunately if you dont want to or cant take a pill, there are topical solutions to treat nail fungus. Although topical medications are desirable because of the low risk of side effects and interaction with other medications, they have much longer treatment regimens. Generally, topical medications have a lower clearance rate compared to oral pills.
Newer topical antifungals including Efinaconazole and Tavaborole have better penetration of the nail plate and so they work better compared to older topical medications, says Dr. Ng. She says the topical medications work best if you only have partial nail involvement.
Lasers are approved by the FDA to temporarily increase the amount of clear nail. However, the cure rates are lower than oral medications and topical solutions.
Donât Miss: What You Need For Acrylic Nails
Recommended Reading: What Vitamins Are Good For Hair Skin And Nails