When Are The Different Treatments Considered
Most doctors recommend treating nail fungus with nail polish or cream if
- not much more than half of the nail is affected by the fungus,
- the base of the nail is not infected, and
- only some nails are affected.
Topical treatment is also usually recommended for children. One reason for this is that most oral medications arent suitable for children. Another reason is that children have thinner nails that grow more quickly, so its assumed that treatment with nail polish or creams is more likely to work in children than in adults. White superficial onychomycosis is also often treated with a nail polish or cream.
If several nails are infected by the fungus, or if the infection has spread out more on the affected nails, its usually necessary to take oral medication. And if the infection started at the base of the nail, its highly likely that only tablets will help.
How Effective Are Topical Treatments
So far, only a few studies have looked into topical nail fungus treatments with nail polishes or creams. Because these studies had weaknesses, the results should be interpreted with caution. Amorolfine has not yet been well studied. Ciclopirox polish and treatment sets with urea and bifonazole cream were tested in a few studies.
Research on the effectiveness of nail polish containing ciclopirox showed that, after one year:
- About 10 out of 100 people who did not use ciclopirox no longer had a detectable fungal nail infection.
- About 32 out of 100 people who used ciclopirox no longer had a detectable fungal nail infection.
In other words, treatment with ciclopirox got rid of the fungal infection in about 22 out of 100 people. But even if the fungus had gone away, the cosmetic result wasnt always satisfying. The nails only looked healthy after treatment in 7 out of 100 people.
Treatment with sets containing urea and bifonazole cream was tested in one study. It was compared with a treatment in which only urea cream was applied and the nail was removed, but without applying bifonazole cream afterwards. Three months after treatment was completed, it was found that:
- No fungus was visible or detectable in about 41 out of 100 people who only used urea cream.
- No fungus was visible or detectable in about 51 out of 100 people who used both urea and bifonazole cream.
How Is Toenail Fungus Treated
Toenail fungus is notoriously tricky to treat. You may need to treat tinea unguium for several months to get rid of the fungus. Still, toenail fungus often comes back.
A skin specialist or foot doctor can explain your treatment options. If you have a mild case that doesnt bother you, your healthcare provider may recommend no treatment.
Tinea unguium treatment options include:
Oral antifungal medication
You can take a prescribed oral antifungal medication to treat the fungus. Options include terbinafine , itraconazole or fluconazole . Youll need to take the medication every day for several months . Your healthcare provider may use blood tests to check for potential medication side effects. These medications can affect your liver and interact with other medications, so oral antifungals arent for everyone.
You can regularly apply a topical medication right onto your nail. The medication treats the fungus over time. Topical medications are most effective when paired with oral medications.
Your healthcare provider will direct a high-tech laser beam and special lights at your toenail to treat the fungus. Lasers are U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved for temporary increase of clear nail in nail fungus, but theyre not a cure. Cure rates for laser treatment are lower than oral and topical mediations. Your healthcare provider wont typically use lasers as first-line treatments for nail fungus.
Read Also: How To Disinfect Pedicure Tools
When To See A Doctor
In most cases, toenail fungus is considered a cosmetic problem. Still, it may cause serious complications for some people.
If you have diabetes, toenail fungus may lead to foot ulcers or other foot problems. According to a 2012 study, chronic toenail fungus is a significant risk factor for bacterial cellulitis of the leg.
You shouldnt use home remedies for toenail fungus if you have diabetes or a weakened immune system. Contact your doctor for the appropriate course of action.
Softening And Scraping Away The Nail
As it can take a long time for antifungal medication to work, some people may prefer to use a treatment that involves softening and removing infected parts of nail over a few weeks.
Treatment kits are available from pharmacies that contain a 40% urea paste, plasters and a scraping device. The paste softens the infected parts of the nail, allowing them to be scraped away so they can be gradually replaced with healthy nail.
To use the treatment:
- wash the affected area and dry it thoroughly
- carefully apply the paste to the infected nails
- cover the nails with plasters and leave them for 24 hours
- wash the paste off the next day and scrape away the softened parts of the nail
- repeat this process each day for 2 to 3 weeks
Once no more infected parts of the nail can be removed, ask your pharmacist for antifungal nail paint to prevent re-infection as the nail regrows over the next few months.
Read Also: Where Can I Buy Impress Press On Nails
What Causes Fungal Nail Infections
A fungal nail infection occurs when a fungus infects a fingernail, toenail or the skin under the nail .
- You are more likely to get a fungal nail infection if your nail has been damaged through small cuts in the skin around your nail or through the opening between your nail and nail bed.
- You can get a fungal nail infection from sharing personal items such as nail clippers, or towels, walking barefoot in public showers or pools, or if you have athletes foot , where the fungus spreads from your skin to your nail.
- Smoking, having have certain other health conditions, such as diabetes, psoriasis or peripheral arterial disease and taking medication that weaken your immune system can increase your risk of getting a fungal nail infection.
Take Care When Getting A Pedicure
Having a pedicure can increase your risk of fungal nail infection. Here are some tips to reduce the risk of infection when getting a pedicure:
- Before you go for a pedicure, its important to make sure the salon you choose is clean and that the staff routinely sterilizes the instruments. Speak up about the tools and methods you prefer.
- Foot baths or bowls should be cleaned with hospital-grade disinfectant between clients.
- Salon technicians should not tear or cut your skin with the tools they use during a pedicure. Bugs in foot bowls can enter through a cut and cause an infection.
- If you have broken skin, eg, from a bug bite, scratch or cut, don’t use a foot bath.
- Ask the salon technician to avoid cutting your toenails too short.
- Having artificial nails increases your risk of nail infections.
Read Also: Does Hair Nail And Skin Vitamins Work
Home Remedies For Nail Fungus
Some people try over-the-counter products such as Vicks VapoRub or tea tree oil as home remedies for nail fungus. Vicks VapoRub contains camphor and eucalyptus oil, which may have anti-fungal effects when applied regularly over time. Tea tree oil for nail fungus could in theory help because the oil has anti-fungal properties. But dont count on either of these for a fast or permanent cure. Seeing a dermatologist is your best bet for treating nail fungus.
Jessica Brown, a health and science writer/editor based in Nanuet, New York. She has written for Waters Edge Dermatology, Prevention magazine, jnj.com, BCRF.org, and many other outlets.
How Much Does The Kerassentials Formula Cost
Unlike other supplements that cost you a lot and almost cause a hole in your wallet, Kerassentials is a savior. It comes in the form of three highly-discounted packages that you can choose from. These are:
1. 30 DAYS SUPPLY: You can buy one bottle of Kerassentials for just $69 instead of buying it at the regular price of $99. Also, get free shipping on this basic bottle pack!
2. 90 DAYS SUPPLY: You can buy three bottles of Kerassentials for just $177, $59 per bottle, instead of buying it at the regular price of $297. Also, get free shipping on this standard bottle pack!
3. 180 DAYS SUPPLY: You can buy six bottles of Kerassentials for just $294, $49 per bottle, instead of buying it at the regular price of $594. Also, get free shipping on this premium bottle pack!
Also Check: Does Gentian Violet Cure Toenail Fungus
Which Treatment Is Right For Me
Nail fungus is usually harmless. But many people find discolored or thickened nails unpleasant to look at and want to get rid of the fungus as soon as possible. Fungal nail infections can also spread, and may infect other people. Regardless of the treatment you choose, it will take a while until the nail looks normal again. Its especially important to be patient where toenails are concerned. It can take a year for a healthy big toenail to grow back. Nail fungus can sometimes be very persistent despite treatment. It can also come back after successful treatment.
Topical treatment isnt likely to get rid of a fungal nail infection. Treatment with tablets is considerably more effective and takes less time. But some people cant take tablets because of the very rare, yet serious risks. How you feel about the pros and cons of the different treatment options is a personal matter. You can also discuss the options with your doctor.
A Pharmacist Can Help With Fungal Nail Infections
Speak to a pharmacist if the look of your nail bothers you or it’s painful.
They may suggest:
- antifungal nail cream it can take up to 12 months to cure the infection and does not always work
- nail-softening cream it’s used for 2 weeks to soften the nail so the infected part can be scraped off
The infection is cured when you see healthy nail growing back at the base.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Get Gel Nails Off
Reputation Of The Brand
Consumers’ purchasing decisions are heavily influenced by the best thing to soak feet in for toenail fungus brand’s reputation. Your e-previous store’s customers’ reviews or the brand’s longevity are both taken into consideration while making this decision. More than 60 percent of buyers will abandon their shopping carts if the quantity of bad reviews on their best thing to soak feet in for toenail fungus product or service is significant. As a result, it is critical to keep an eye on the online store’s reputation.
What Are The Symptoms Of Fungal Nail Infection
A fungal nail infection may not cause any obvious symptoms at first, but as the infection progresses you may notice the following symptoms:
- Change in colour of some or all of your nail turns yellow, white, blue, purple or black.
- Thickening and change in shape of the nail, making it difficult to trim.
- Pain or discomfort, particularly when using or placing pressure on the affected toe or finger.
- Brittle or crumbly nails pieces may break off and come away completely.
- The skin near the nail may itch, or crack.
Don’t Miss: Best Reviewed Press On Nails
Check If It’s A Fungal Nail Infection
Fungal nail infections usually affect your toenails, but you can get them on your fingernails, too.
john shepherd / Alamy Stock Photo https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-toenail-fungus-57903251.html?pv=1& stamp=2& imageid=DE191DF7-3AA2-46A9-ABFE-42D742C86E16& p=11421& n=0& orientation=0& pn=1& searchtype=0& IsFromSearch=1& srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3dDA5M57%26qt_raw%3dDA5M57%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d0%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d
ISM / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/1159177/view
Best Home Remedies For Toenail Fungus
A variety of treatment options for toenail fungus are available, including drug-free alternatives, over-the-counter medicine, prescription drugs, laser treatment, or even surgical removal for those severe cases. Many people would rather start with items they have around the house before purchasing medication or visiting their doctors office. These treatments are most effective in mild fungal cases.
Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes when it comes to treating nail fungus. This is because a new toenail must grow to replace the old, damaged toenail. This can take up to 18 months to regrow the toenail. This time frame varies on how fast or slow your toenails grow and how severe the fungal infection is. Many home remedies quickly improve the appearance of the nail, but the actual fungus is not gone until the new, healthy nail has replaced the old, damaged one.
Try some of these effective home remedies for toenail fungus:
Read Also: Supplements For Strong Hair And Nails
How Does The Kerassentials Solution Work
For the Kerassentials to work, all you have to do is apply Kerassentials 4 times daily. You can apply it twice in the morning and twice at noon. Use the enclosed applicator to coat the nail and a cotton swab to work the solution into the cuticle of the nails.
Once you apply it, the carefully selected ingredients combined into a potent formula work synergistically for your nails. This helps provide your skin with the support it needs.
It helps keep your nails rebuild and keeps them healthy. It will maintain the health of your skin in multiple ways and give them the protection it needs. The great potent combination of supporting vitamins helps you get rid of toenail fungus, foul-smelling, rough skin, yellow coloring etc. You will be able to say goodbye to fungal infections and say hi to flawless nails!
As you use the solution daily, you will be able to see the results almost immediately! You will begin to notice that your toenails look alive again.
The itchiness will go away, and your pink nails will start growing out! The damage will be reversed within a few days of regular usage. For best results, use an emery board to gently file the nail surface to allow the oil to absorb more thoroughly.
Related Resources For Toenail Fungus
* Prescription savings vary by prescription and by pharmacy, and may reach up to 80% off cash price.
Pharmacy names, logos, brands, and other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This article is not medical advice. It is intended for general informational purposes and is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your physician or dial 911.
Recommended Reading: Young Nails Dust Collector Filter
Toenail Fungus Home Care
Sometimes itâs possible to treat your toenail fungus at home. You can try:
- Over the counter antifungal creams or ointments. File or cut off any white markings on your nails. Soak your nails in water and dry off before you put on the medicated cream.
- Special nail care. If you keep your nails trimmed, it can reduce the pressure and pain you feel. You can also thin your nail bed by filing it down. This can help antifungal creams get to the problem easier.
Treating Toenail Fungus: The 17 Most Effective Home Remedies
Learn what are the best treatments for toenail fungus infections you can do at home. The 17 most effective natural remedies for nail fungus.
Having trouble with toenail fungus? Well, we got you covered! Suffer no more! Here are some remedies that you can do at home. They have been proven and tested. Treat your nail fungus in these ways and see the difference. These remedies are very easy to do. The treatment that you need is something you probably have or is very easy to access.
Onychomycosis or, in much simpler terms, nail fungal infection, is a condition affecting the fingernail as well as the toenail. An infection inside the nail starts with a white or yellow patch under the nail, and as it spreads, it causes the toenail to grow thick, discolored and crumbled on the edges. It makes up to 50% of nail abnormalities. They are of four kinds:
- Proximal subungual onychomycosis: Caused due to nail fold, where fungal infection penetrates the newly formed nail plate.
- White superficial onychomycosis : Tends to create a chalky white appearance or white island on nails.
- Distal subungual onychomycosis: It invades the nail bed and underside of the nail plate.
- Candidal onychomycosis: Causes due to frequent immersion in water where a genus called Candida invades the nail plate
Our Best Drugstore Toenail Fungus Treatment
Why 1st Product is Best Compare to Others
1st product has many incredible facts over other products. Thats why weve ranked it on top of this list.
The excellent quality of a good product is that it will fulfill all the needs a user have and solve the real problem. These quality is exists on this product. Be understandable by users, perform users task as easily and efficiently as possible.
Bottom line, this product is finesse for use, features that meet consumer needs and give customer satisfaction and conformance to standards.
Which Prescription Products Treat Nail Fungus
The best products for nail fungus are prescription medicines you take by mouth or topical liquid medicines you apply to the nail.
Prescription medicines commonly used to treat nail fungus include oral and topical treatments, such as:
- topical efinaconazole
- topical ciclopirox
- oral terbinafine
- oral itraconazole
Oral antifungal medicines tend to work better than topical ones, but are associated with greater side effects and drug interactions. In some cases, your doctor may decide to combine treatments, or use laser or photodynamic therapy. Speak with your podiatrist about these techniques.
In the most severe cases, your doctor may recommend you have surgery to remove part or all of the nail.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Nail Fungus Fast
How Do Dermatologists Treat A Fungal Nail Infection
Treatment usually begins with your dermatologist trimming your infected nail, cutting back each infected nail to the place where it attaches to your finger or toe. Your dermatologist may also scrape away debris under the nail. This helps get rid of some fungus.
To completely get rid of the infection, most people also need one or more of the following treatments:
Medicine you apply to the nail: If you have a mild infection, a medicine that you apply to your nails may get rid of the infection. This treatment helps keep new fungus out while the nails grow. Fingernails typically grow out in four to six months. Toenails take longer, usually takes 12 to 18 months.
Probably the most difficult part of this treatment is remembering to use it as often as prescribed. Some treatments must be applied every day. Others you apply once a week. To get the best results, its essential that you apply these medicines exactly as directed.
The US Food and Drug Administration has approved the following medicines that you apply to the nail to treat nail fungus:
Side effects from these medicines are generally mild. Possible side effects include redness and swelling, an ingrown toenail, and stinging or burning when you apply the medicine. In clinical trials, none of these side effects caused patients to stop using the treatment.
Antifungal pills, however, can cause side effects. Your dermatologist will watch you closely. Youll also need to have blood tests every month to check for problems.