How Fungi Infect The Nail
Onchomycosis, or toenail fungal infection, is an invasion by a microscopic organism that thrives in warm, damp environments. Fungal spores are in the air, and they will grow if they land on a receptive surface like your toenail. They feed off the nail tissues, burrowing into the skin under the nail. Over time the nail thickens and may lift off the nail bed as fungal debris accumulates. Once your nail is raised off the nail bed, it wont reattach, and a new nail wont grow from that part of the nail bed. However, your nail will continue to grow from the root at the base.
What Causes A Nail Fungal Infection
The infection is usually caused by exposure to a fungus. The fungus grows in wet, dark conditions. The fungus grows when your feet are in warm, sweaty environment . It enters your nail through a crack in the nail.
Nail fungal infections happen at any age. They are more common in adults older than 60 years of age. They are common in people who have diabetes or circulation problems. They also are common in people with a weakened immune system. Men are more likely than women to get fungal nail infections.
How To Treat Fingernail Fungus
Fingernail fungus occurs when fungi or bacteria enter the nail bed 1. This can occur either through a crack or break in the cuticles or nail plate, or it could be the result of bacteria inside the body. Fingernail fungus is characterized by thick, yellow and cracked nail beds and can be embarrassing. There are steps you can take to cure a fingernail fungus, but the cure can take time. According to Dr. David Nelson, an orthopedic surgeon, it can take months before the fingernail fungus improves or disappears. There are prescriptions to treat fingernail fungus, but these come with high price tags and adverse side effects. There are several simple, at-home solutions for curing a fingernail fungus.
Purchase an over-the-counter cream with clotrimazole in it. Clotrimazole has antifungal properties that will destroy the fungus. Apply the cream to the affected nail. Rub it deeply into the cuticles, the top of the nail plate and as far under the nail bed as you can get it. Repeat this process, morning and night, until you see results.Clotrimazole treatment is a favorite of Dr. Nelson, and he recommends it to his patients suffering from fingernail fungus.
Avoid wearing nail polish while you are treating your fingernail fungus. This will help speed the healing process, and allow the antifungal agent to work effectively.
You May Like: Remove Impress Nails
Living With A Nail Fungal Infection
If you have a nail fungal infection, some things can help:
- Keep your nails cut short and file down any thick areas.
- Dont use the same nail trimmer and file on healthy nails and infected nails. If you have your nails professionally manicured, bring your own nail file and trimmer from home.
- Wear waterproof gloves for wet work . Wear 100% cotton gloves for dry work.
- Wear socks made of wicking material . This pulls moisture away from the skin. Change your socks when they are damp from sweat or if your feet get wet. Put on clean, dry socks every day. Put over-the-counter antifungal foot powder inside your socks to keep your feet dry.
- Wear shoes with good support and a wide toe area. Dont wear pointed shoes that press your toes together.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public areas, such as locker rooms.
A Pharmacist Can Help With Fungal Nail Infections
Speak to a pharmacist if the look of your nail bothers you or it’s painful.
They may suggest:
- antifungal nail cream it can take up to 12 months to cure the infection and does not always work
- nail-softening cream it’s used for 2 weeks to soften the nail so the infected part can be scraped off
The infection is cured when you see healthy nail growing back at the base.
Don’t Miss: Hongo Killer Nail Formula Reviews
Antifungal Powder Nail Fungus
Can Jublia Be Used For Fingernail Fungus Clotrimazole Good For Nail Fungus Toe Fungus Nail Growth, Does Vicks Vapo Cure Toenail Fungus White Fungus Spots On Skin Cure Fungus Nail Pen Repair.
How To Cover Fungus Nail Skin Yeast Fungus. Gorderich Foot Fungus Terbinafine 250 Mg For Nail Fungus Tee Tree Oil Cure Nail Fungus. Flesh Eating Foot Fungus Can You Get Sick From Toenail Fungus.
How Should I Use Fungi
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor.
Do not take by mouth. Topical medicine is for use only on the skin.
Use only the Fungi-Nail formulation made for the specific body area you are treating . This medicine will not be effective if you do not use the correct formulation.
Do not allow a young child to use Fungi-Nail without help from an adult.
Wash your hands before and after using this medicine.
If you are using Fungi-Nail on your feet, apply the medicine to all areas including between your toes.
Do not cover treated skin with a bandage. You may cover the skin with a cotton gauze dressing to protect your clothing.
Avoid wearing tight-fitting, synthetic clothing that doesn’t allow air circulation. Wear loose clothing made of cotton and other natural fibers until the infection is healed.
Change your shoes and socks at least once daily while treating athlete’s foot.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time, even if your symptoms quickly improve.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze.
You May Like: Does Varisi Nail Solution Work
Can You Use Nailner On Fingernails
Treat the infected nail twice daily for the first four weeks and once daily thereafter, until a healthy looking nail has replaced the damaged nail. During this treatment, use Nailner products preventively on the healthy nails , to stop the fungal infection spreading to other nails.
Secondly, what fungal nail treatment can I use with nail varnish? If you would like to wear nail polish while treating a fungal infection wear an antifungal nail polish such as Dr. Remedy Nail Polish with tea tree oil or Clearstat Antimicrobial Nail Polish.
Correspondingly, what is the active ingredient in Nailner?
How do you use a Nailner pen?
More videos on YouTube
How Is A Fungal Nail Infection Treated
It may take time to treat a nail infection. You may need to try several treatments to find one that helps. Even when a treatment works, the nail can get infected again.
Treatment often starts with antifungal medicine.
- You can try an over-the-counter medicine that comes in a cream, lotion, or nail polish.
- Your doctor can also prescribe a stronger antifungal medicine that you apply to your nail.
- Antifungal pills give the best chance of curing a severe nail infection. But they may cost a lot. And they can have serious side effects. You will need to see your doctor for regular testing if you take these pills.
- If you have a severe nail infection or the infection keeps coming back, your doctor may remove the infected nail.
If you have diabetes or a weak immune system, your doctor may suggest treating the infection, even if it doesn’t bother you.
Also Check: Can Guys Take Hair Skin And Nails Vitamins
Side Effects Of Using Hydrogen Peroxide On Your Nails
Hydrogen peroxide may effectively heal your fungal infection, however, it may also cause some side effects in the process. If you have particularly sensitive skin, you must consult with a physician before carrying on these treatments.
The risk of using hydrogen peroxide is as follows:
- There is a high likelihood of skin irritation, even with concentration levels as low as 3%. This will include redness, stinging, and mild itching.
- It may result in dried feet and cracked heels.
- Hydrogen peroxide may also cause your skin to peel.
If you have been experiencing any of the above symptoms, we advise that you use a concentration level lower than 3%. You can also further dilute hydrogen peroxide with water to reduce its concentration level.
How Is Toenail Fungus Treated
Toenail fungus is notoriously tricky to treat. You may need to treat the condition for several months to get rid of the fungus. Still, toenail fungus often comes back.
A dermatologist or podiatrist can explain your treatment options. If you have a mild case that doesnt bother you, your provider may recommend no treatment.
Toenail fungus treatment options include:
- Oral antifungal medication: You take prescribed medication, such terbinafine , itraconazole and fluconazole , to treat the fungi. You will need to take this medication every day for several months . Your provider may use blood tests to check for potential medication side effects. These medications can affect the liver and interact with other medications, so oral antifungals are not for everyone.
- Topical medication: You regularly apply a medication right on the nail. The medication treats the fungi over time. Topical medications are most effective when paired with oral medications.
- Laser treatments: Your provider directs a high-tech laser beam and special lights at the toenail to treat the fungus. Lasers are FDA approved for temporary increase of clear nail in nail fungus but is not a cure. Cure rates for laser treatment are lower than oral and topical mediations so they are not typically used as first line treatments for nail fungus.
Recommended Reading: How Do They Do Gel Nails
How Can You Avoid Fungal Nail Infections
There are things you can do to avoid getting a fungal nail infection or having it come back.
- Before bed, wash and dry your feet carefully.
Applying a topical antifungal medicine may help prevent repeat infections.
- Keep your feet and hands dry.
Dry skin and nails are less likely to get infected. Put powder on your dry feet or hands after you take a shower or bath.
- Wear sandals or roomy shoes made of materials that allow moisture to escape.
Let your shoes air out for at least 24 hours before you wear them again.
- Wear socks.
Change them if your feet get damp or sweaty.
- Wear shower sandals in wet public areas, such as locker rooms or showers.
Let them dry between uses.
- Do not share nail files or clippers, socks, towels, or other personal items.
- Avoid injuring your nail.
Tips To Prevent Fungal Nail Infections
Making a few simple lifestyle changes can help prevent a fungal infection of the nails. Taking good care of your nails by keeping them well trimmed and clean is a good way to prevent infections.
Also avoid injuring the skin around your nails. If youre going to have damp or wet hands for an extended amount of time, you may want to wear rubber gloves.
Other ways to prevent fungal infections of the nails include:
- washing your hands after touching infected nails
- drying your feet well after showering, especially between your toes
- getting manicures or pedicures from trustworthy salons
- avoiding being barefoot in public places
- reducing your use of artificial nails and nail polish
Products to help you avoid nail fungus
If youre prone to excessive moisture around your fingernails or toenails, consider buying:
Don’t Miss: How To Apply Essie Gel Nail Polish
Special Features Of Fungi Nail
- The antifungal ingredient which is clinically proven halts the spread of fungus and kills the fungus.
- The formula which is at maximum strength cures the athletes foot as well as stops skin fungus around the nail.
- Its moisturizing effect helps to return the skin to its healthy state
- Nail pen: Fungi Nail comes with a pen brush applicator which makes the use of the solution very easy. Nail pen also helps you to apply the solution proportionately based on how the nail is affected. Basically, the solution gets sufficiently where it is needed. This precise distribution is not afforded by treatment methods such as a foot or hand soak. This preciseness contributes to the fast action of Fungi Nail.
- Moisture block technology: Fungi Nail has a patented ClearGuard Moisture Block Technology. This powerful technology gives Fungi Nail solution a water-resistant ability hence ensuring it stays on the nail and nail bed as long as possible which gives you the freedom of doing your daily activities without particular attention to your nail fungus. In fact, you can wash your hands or take a quick shower Fungi Nail continues its work because it is locked in by its water-resistant ability. This enhances the effectiveness of the product as well as prevent a spread to other nails or the surrounding skin.
What Is The Outcome For Someone Who Has Nail Fungus
With treatment, many people can get rid of nail fungus. Even when the fungus clears, your nail may look unhealthy until the infected nail grows out. A fingernail grows out in 4 to 6 months and a toenail in 12 to 18 months.
To clear the fungus, its important to:
Use the treatment exactly as prescribed
Apply the medicine for as long as prescribed
Keep all follow-up appointments with your dermatologist
Nail fungus can be stubborn. If you had a severe infection, its possible to clear the infection. A healthy looking nail, however, may be unrealistic, but you can expect the nail to look better and feel more comfortable.
Even with clearing, nail fungus can return. Youll find steps to reduce your risk in Tips: 12 ways to prevent another nail infection.
Also Check: What Gets Fingernail Polish Out Of Carpet
Treatment From Your Gp
Your GP can prescribe antifungal tablets. You’ll need to take these every day for up to 6 months.
Tablets can have side effects including:
- loss of taste
You cannot take antifungal tablets if you’re pregnant or have certain conditions. They can damage your liver.
If your nail has a very bad infection, you may need to have it removed. This is a small procedure done under local anaesthetic.
Can Jublia Be Used On Fingernails
4.3/5Jubliauseuseuse on toenailsuseJublia
In clinical trials daily use of Jublia for 48 weeks resulted in complete cure of nail fungus in 15-18% of patients. Daily use of Kerydin resulted in cure for 6-9% or study subjects. Laser toenail fungus removal remains the best option to treat the thick, brittle and unsightly toenails of onychomycosis infection.
Secondly, what is the success rate of Jublia? The complete cure rate with efinaconazole treatment was 15.2 to 17.8 percent. In these studies, researchers considered 40 to 45 percent of patients as having treatment successes. They defined treatment success as an affected target toenail area of less than 10 percent.
Keeping this in consideration, how long does it take for Jublia to start working?
Sticking With TreatmentJUBLIA should be applied once daily for 48 weeks, exactly as directed by your doctor. It may be useful for you to establish a routine to help you stick to your treatment. Wait for at least 10 minutes after showering, bathing, or washing before applying JUBLIA.
What are the side effects of Jublia?
- ingrown toenail,
You May Like: How Do You Get Nail Polish Out Of Carpet
Skin: Condition: Infomation Terbinafine And Itraconazole
Terbinafine and itraconazole have largely taken over from griseofulvin now. They work better and much more quickly, although only about 50% of nail infections are cured. Terbinafine should be considered as first line treatment for dermatophyte fungi . It is taken daily for 6 weeks for fingernail infections and for 12-16 weeks for toenail infections.
Treatments Applied To The Nail
Treatments applied to the nail work less well than those taken by mouth. They are most effective if the infection is treated at an early stage. The treatments used most often are amorolfine nail lacquer and tioconazole nail solution. Alone, they may not be able to clear the deeper parts of an infected nail, though regular removal of abnormal nail material with clippers or filing can help with this. Used in combination with an antifungal remedy taken by mouth, they increase the chance of a cure. They may have to be used for a period of 4 to 12 months before a response is noted. The course of treatment is shorter for fingernail infections. The cure rate with topical agents alone, is low, approximately 15-30%. Topical treatments are safe. Local redness and irritation can occur.
Don’t Miss: How To Remove Impress Stick On Nails
Proper Nail Care Tips
The treatment and prevention of nail fungus will not be possible if proper nail care isnt observed and maintained. They include:
- Keep your nails properly trimmed and clean at all times
- Keep your toes and fingers as dry as possible
- Wear shoes and socks made with breathable materials
- Do not walk barefoot in public places such as a public swimming pool or locker room
- Avoid excessive use of nail polish
- Pay attention to your general health care
Signs And Symptoms Of A Fungal Nail Infection
A fungal nail infection may not cause any obvious symptoms at first.
As it progresses, the infection can cause:
- discolouration of the nail it may turn white, black, yellow or green
- thickening and distortion of the nail it may become an unusual shape or texture and be difficult to trim
- pain or discomfort particularly when using or placing pressure on the affected toe or finger
- brittle or crumbly nails pieces may break off and come away completely
Sometimes the skin nearby may also become infected and be itchy and cracked or red and swollen.
You May Like: Does Dollar General Have Nail Polish