Tea Tree: Mother Natures Miracle Oil
Although you may not have heard of it before, tea tree oil has been used for thousands of years. Since well before the time of European colonization, the Budjalung an indigenous people who live in southern Australia have been chewing and mashing tea tree leaves to help treat wounds, soothe coughs and even relieve skin problems. Commercial production didnt begin until 1923, when a researcher named Arthur Penfold published a report on the medical benefits of the oil. Today, you can find tea tree oil in everything from natural medicines to bar soaps and deodorants, and its not surprising when you consider all of its uses:
- Fungicide. Tea tree oil is commonly used as a natural antifungal and antibacterial treatment. Its known to alleviate the symptoms of athletes foot, toenail fungus and other topical fungal infections.
- Antiseptic. Tea tree oil is also a natural antiseptic, which means its capable of killing bacteria. It also means that like other antiseptics , tea tree oil can dry out skin. Thats why many people use it as a toner or as a remedy for oily skin. For these reasons, weve made tea tree oil a main ingredient of H2V Spotless a blemish-preventing masque that fights breakouts and helps balance oily skin.
- Aromatic. Tea tree oil is a popular oil for aromatherapy. People use the vapors to help break up mucus, ease congestion and soothe chest pain. Its sometimes combined with eucalyptus oil, which has similar benefits.
How Long Does It Take For Tea Tree Oil To Work On Ringworm
It depends on the type of ringworm you have. Tea tree oil effectively kills both dermatophytes and yeast infections when used consistently for several weeks so that it will work on any ringworm you attempt to treat with it.
- If you are using tea tree oil topically, apply it to the affected area for several weeks.
- If you are using it as an oral supplement, then it will take longer than that because your internal organs must absorb it first before getting into your system and circulating the body.
- The length of time will depend on how severe your case of ringworm is. However, if you are using it consistently, then the tea tree oil will affect your ringworm.
See Keravita Pro a natural dietary supplement that supports hair and nails.
How useful was this post?
Get Rid Of Nail Fungus
“Because of its antimicrobial properties, many people use tea tree oil to treat nail fungus,” Zeichner says. By killing the fungus, it may allow clean, non-infected nails to grow.
A small 2017 study found that after six months of topical treatment with undiluted tea tree oil, 27% of patients were completely cured and 65% were partially cured of nail fungus.
However, nail fungus can be very difficult to treat. “In many cases it takes an oral antifungal medication to treat a fungal nail infection,” which you may need to take for up to 6 months, Zeichner says.
Even if tea tree oil does work as a treatment, it can take a long time to fully eradicate the fungus, Green says.
For the treatment to work best, “nails should be kept dry, clean, and short to discourage growth of fungus,” Green says.
Read Also: 100% Acetone Dollar General
Tea Tree Oil For Athlete’s Foot
Tea tree oil may be effective for milder cases of athlete’s foot, says Jessica J. Krant, M.D., M.P.H., clinical assistant professor of dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., and a member of Consumer Reports medical advisory board. Thats because it is known to be antiseptic, mildly antifungal, and mildly antibacterial, she says.
In fact, a study published in the Australasian Journal of Dermatology in 2002 found that twice-daily use of a 25 or 50 percent tea tree solution for four weeks cleared up athletes foot for more than half the people who used italthough nearly four percent of study participants who used the tea tree oil solution also developed an itchy rash.
While these results seem encouraging, theres no guarantee that consumers will get the same results from the tea tree oil products they buy. Thats because study researchers use ingredients that are purified and analyzed to ensure that they contain exact concentrations of high-quality tea tree oil. But tea tree oil products arent regulated in the way that medications are, so theres no way to be sure that a product from the drugstore contains the ingredients that will have the desired effect, says Krant.
Its also important to note that other studies have found tea tree oil to be less effective at treating athletes foot than over-the-counter antifungal medications such as tolnaftate .
How To Prepare Your Nails
Nail treatments for fungus work to target the fungus on and around the toenail. Preparing your nails for an application is the best way to ensure fast results and a speedy recovery. The goal is to allow the oil to coat and penetrate the entire nail, so the fungal nail must be clean and free of any dead nail tissue or nail polish. Carefully follow these steps to prepare for your nail fungus treatment :
You May Like: How To Remove Contacts With Long Nails
Do You Want A Natural Treatment For Nail Fungus Try Tea Tree Oil
Using tea tree oil to combat fingernail fungus is an effective natural treatment, although it does take time and persistence. The best way to do this is dip a cotton ball into the tea tree oil and then apply directly on the affected fingernail two to three times a day you should see some positive improvement within a few months.
Another way to use tea tree oil for fingernail fungus is to soak your fingernails. Heres our recipe for a tea tree oil foot soak:-
- Add 1 cup Epsom salts to a basin/tub filled with hot water.
- Add 4-5 drops of essential tea tree oil.
- Soak your fingernails for 15 minutes.
- Dry fingernails thoroughly after soaking.
Repeat this treatment daily for at least a week to help in the treatment of fingernail fungus.
The Oregano And Tea Tree Oil Blend To Deal With Nail Fungus
Fungal infections may target any part of the body. Fungus is always present in the body. It thrives alongside bacteria. The trouble starts when there is an overgrowth of fungus since this causes an infection. Onychomycosis is the medical name for a fungal infection that occurs on the toenails and fingernails.
Recommended Reading: How Much Money Do Nail Techs Make A Year
Tea Tree Oil And Dmso
DMSO is a natural solvent which helps the tea tree oil to penetrate deeply under the nail and kill the fungus. This process may not be effective for people with severe fungal infection.
- Mix 1 part of DMSO and 9 parts of tea tree oil.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture on the nails.
- Cover with bandage and leave it on for few minutes.
- Remove bandage, rinse with cool water, and towel dry.
- Repeat the process daily.
Tea Tree Oil And Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol contains sterilizing properties which are helpful in killing the fungus. This method is effective for nail fungus in mild cases or budding stage. It may not be effective for severe nail fungus infections.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of alcohol, 10 drops of grape seed extract, and 20 drops of tea tree oil.
- Pour into spray bottle and shake gently.
- Spray the mixture on nails and let it air dry.
- Now massage a small amount of coconut oil and leave it to dry.
- Repeat the process once in a day.
Read Also: How Do You Get Dip Nails Off
Using Tea Tree Oil On Your Nails
Before using tea tree oil for toenail fungus, make an appointment and talk to your doctor about your infection. You may need to take a prescription medication to deal with the problem if you have any other illnesses or health conditions. Your doctor can let you know if tea tree oil is likely to work safely for you. Once you have talked to your doctor, return to Walgreens, where you’ll find many tea tree oil products. Choosing a liquid extract will likely be best for your needs. Typically, tree oil soaps and skin care creams do not have a high enough concentration of the herb to fully address the fungal infection, which can be difficult to treat. Use a disposable cotton swab to spread the oil onto your toenail. It can take several months for nail fungus to respond to any type of treatment, so be sure to continue to use the product as recommended by your doctor for as long as he or she suggests. Tea tree oil may cause swelling of the skin or redness around your nail. Be sure to keep the cap on the bottle of your extract, as the oil is more likely to cause reactions when it is exposed to the air. It may not be safe for young boys to use tea tree oil to address toenail fungus due to concerns about how the herb affects hormone levels in the body.
*The total item count is approximate. The count will be inaccurate when sponsored products are displayed, when multiple sizes or colors of a product are grouped on a single product card, and when the in-stock filter is applied.
Tea Tree Oil And Coconut Oil
Fatty acids present in coconut oil insert themselves in lipid layer of the fungal cell membranes. This eventually leads to disintegration and destruction of fungus. Apart from that, it also improves the health of nail and skin surrounding it.
- Melt ¼ cup of organic coconut oil and stir in 15 drops of tea tree oil.
- Pour into glass container and let stand until solidified.
- Apply the cream on nails 2-3 times a day, especially after showers and before going to bed.
Alternative Method: Combine 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, 10 drops each of oregano oil, tea tree oil, garlic oil, peppermint oil and clove oil. Apply the mixture on the infected nail and massage gently. Leave it to dry completely. Repeat the application daily.
Also Check: How To Remove Contact Lenses With Nails
How Can You Maximize The Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil
Apart from the oil application, you can follow a few tips that can help improve the condition of your toenails and resolve the fungal infection faster.
- Trim your nails regularly. It will prevent the underlying healthy nail from getting infected and allow the oil to penetrate the nail bed better.
- Always wash your nails clean with soap and water. Remember to pat your nails and the skin around them dry to prevent any moisture from entering the nail bed.
- Use footwear in public places such as washrooms, locker rooms, and pools to prevent spreading it to others.
- Opt for footwear that has ample space for your toes. A narrow toebox will cramp your toes together and apply pressure on your toenails. The repetitive trauma can make them susceptible to fungal growth. Choose sandals instead. Alternately, you can apply an antifungal spray to the inside of your shoes to prevent fungal growth.
- If you must wear socks, invest in ones made of natural fibers as they absorb moisture and sweat, unlike their synthetic counterparts. Change and wash your socks regularly.
- Always sterilize your nail tools such as nail clippers, nail file, etc. Avoid sharing them with others as they can spread toenail fungus.
- Lastly, check your nails regularly for any change in color, pain, or irritation. If you notice any such changes, get treatment immediately to prevent the fungal infection from spreading further.
For Every 4 To 5 Drops Of Tea Tree Oil Add 12 Drops Of A Carrier Oil
Look for an oil that has a 10- to 40-percent concentration of terpinen, which is the main antiseptic component of tea tree oil.
Before applying tea tree oil for toenail fungus you must have to make certain preparations on nails so as to get the best out of tea tree oil.
Step 1 : Make sure you get rid of all the dead nails with a nail clipper. Start by sterilizing your nail clipper, by soaking it in rubbing alcohol or a 10 percent bleach solution for 10 minutes.
Step 2 : File away any bits of dead toenails at the corners. If needed, use a medium or fine nail filer to smooth any jagged or rough areas. The more the skin is exposed to the tea tree oil for toenail fungus treatment, the better the chances of inhibiting fungal growth.
Step 3 : Gently scrub and wash infected nails with soap and warm water to remove dust and dirt.
Step 4 : Use a cotton swab to apply a few to several drops of the diluted tea tree oil to the affected nail, and allow to air dry.
Step 5 : Apply thoroughly, so the oil penetrates the affected nail as much as possible, pressing it gently but firmly so that the liquid comes out.
Step 6: Gently scrub the affected nails with the help of a toothbrush, so as to make sure the oil reaches deep into the nails.
Repeat the steps on how to dilute tea tree oil for toenail fungus 2 to 3 times per day. To improve the odds this tea tree oil treatment will work, be prepared to apply the oil at least twice daily for several months.
Also Check: Nail Fungus Cures Vicks
Is Tea Tree Oil For Fungus Treatment Safe
Like most natural products, tea tree oil is largely safe for usage especially in the right proportion, and is approved by the FDA. Nevertheless, it could have a stinging effect on the skin around the nail hence the need for proper dilution with carrier oils such as olive oil and sweet almond oil.
Although tea tree oil for toenail fungus works, Tea tree oil is designed for external use and must never be taken internally.
Before using this oil on children, consult a doctor for approval.
Even with proper dilution, tea tree oil could still result in an allergic reaction. Some people could experience skin redness, itching, and inflammation. Hence, it is good to do a skin patch test before use.
Skin patch test for tea tree oil
- Dilute one or two drops of tea tree oil with about 12 drops of a carrier oil
- Apply a very thin layer of the diluted oil on a tiny portion of your forearm.
- If after 24 hours of this application, you do not experience any skin reactions then you are not likely to see any allergic reactions when applied elsewhere.
After dilution with a carrier oil as stated above, use a cotton swab to put a thin layer of the diluted oil on the affected area and leave it to dry. You can also soak a cotton ball in the diluted oil and place it on the infected nail for a few minutes.
Make Your Tea Tree Oil Mouthwash
Using a mouthwash containing tea tree oil may prove effective in reducing the supporting healthy teeth and gums, for this reason, countless natural-health companies add tea tree to mouth wash. But you can save money and have fun in the process by making your own refreshing mouthwash.
As with applying tea tree oil directly to the skin, it is extremely important that you do not ingest undiluted tea tree oil, as it can prove harmful if swallowed and may irritate the mouth.
How to use
You can either buy a mouthwash with tea tree oil in it like Desert Essences Natural Tea Tree Oil Mouthwash or you can make your own mouthwash.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Get Dip Nails Off
Tea Tree Oil For Acne
Tea tree oil, when properly diluted, may help mild to moderate acne, Krant says. Experts believe that the liquids acne-fighting power comes from its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Although more research needs to be done, existing studies are promising. A review of seven studies, including three double-blind trials, published in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents in 2015, concluded that products containing at least 5 percent tea tree oil, applied twice daily for multiple weeks, is likely to reduce acne. The researchers also concluded that people experienced similar adverse reactions to tea tree oil as they did to other medicated acne treatments, such as dryness, stinging, and burning.
If tea tree oil alone isnt strong enough to clear up acne, combining it with other medications, such as benzoyl peroxide or retinoids may do the trick, Krant says. Retinoids add benefit by working to exfoliate and normalize cell development and turnover rates, she sayswhich tea tree oil does not appear to do. But keep in mind that using tea tree oil to treat acne can also cause rashes.
Use To Treat Athletes Foot
Research has shown that they are 1.5 million people suffering from athlete foot per year in Nigeria.
Athletes foot is a fungal infection that is spread quickly and begins predominantly between toes.
Heres how to use tea tree oil to treat athletes foot
Pro Tips: If youre suffering from any skin inflammation after applying the oil, please discontinue to prevent further damage.
You May Like: How To Get Gel Nail Polish Out Of Clothes
How Do You Use Tea Tree Oil For Fungal Infection
Its quite simple to use tea tree oil to treat fungal infection. First, you start by preparing the affected area by taking off dead skin. Secondly, you buff your nails a little bit so that the oil can sink through after which you can then apply.
PS: Before you proceed with the application, make sure to dilute the oil with a carrier oil as applying it directly to your skin may cause irritation.