How To Prevent Both Foot And Toenail Fungus
While toenail fungus and foot fungus arent the same condition, the following tips can help you prevent both, says Sundling:
- Practice good hygiene, such as keeping your feet clean.
- Alternate your shoes during the week. Your feet sweat all day long. Alternating your shoes allows them to dry out, so the fungus cant survive.
- Wear moisture-wicking socks that help dry out shoes and kill fungus. You can find these at running stores and athletic stores. If your socks are exceptionally sweaty, changing them more than once per day can help.
- Wear shoes in public places like locker rooms, pools, and gyms to limit exposure to fungus.
Tips To Prevent Fungal Nail Infections
Making a few simple lifestyle changes can help prevent a fungal infection of the nails. Taking good care of your nails by keeping them well trimmed and clean is a good way to prevent infections.
Also avoid injuring the skin around your nails. If youre going to have damp or wet hands for an extended amount of time, you may want to wear rubber gloves.
Other ways to prevent fungal infections of the nails include:
- washing your hands after touching infected nails
- drying your feet well after showering, especially between your toes
- getting manicures or pedicures from trustworthy salons
- avoiding being barefoot in public places
- reducing your use of artificial nails and nail polish
Products to help you avoid nail fungus
If youre prone to excessive moisture around your fingernails or toenails, consider buying:
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus
Although some people may refer to these alternative treatments as quack science, there appears to be a little more to these homemade remedies since many individuals have used them to cure their conditions. However, more research still needs to be conducted on the success rate of home remedies for nail fungus.
Some common and supposedly effective alternative treatments include:
According to Dr. Josh Axe of the Exodus Health Center, apple cidar vinegar not only helps to soothe sunburns, balance pH in the body, manage blood sugar levels, and aid in weight loss, its also an ingredient that contains anti-fungal properties. As such, many sufferers of fungal nail infection have now turned to this healthy food to cure their conditions.
The acidic properties of apple cidar vinegar prevent nail fungus from spreading. At the same time, apple cidar vinegar helps to get rid of dead skin cells while killing bacteria and fungi.
Simply mix it with water in equal parts then soak the infected nails for up to 30 minutes in the solution. Repeat this process daily and pat dry the infected nails after soaking.
Another study conducted by Russian researchers showed that a high concentration of hydrogen peroxide had been instrumental in killing off fungus at the radioactive Chernobyl site.
For this remedy, one should simply apply lemon juice on the infected nail for about 30 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
Also Check: Citrusway Nail Solution
What Is The Prognosis Of Fungal Nails
Curing fungal nails can be difficult and treatment can take up to 18 months. Relapse and reinfection are common. Trying to remove or modify your risk factors, if possible, is essential to preventing reinfection. People who have medical illnesses that predispose them to fungal nails can have an even more difficult time eradicating the fungus.
How To Treat Toenail Fungus With Lemon Juice And Olive Oil
Another effective home remedy that can fight the fungal infection on toenail is the mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. Regular application of this mixture will give you your beautiful nails in no time. Know how this natural treatment works to give you amazing results.
How to use?
- Squeeze out the fresh lemon juice
- To the juice add an equal amount of olive oil
- Apply the mixture on the infected nail
- Gently massage the blend and leave it for a few hours
- After that, rinse it off and pat the nail dry
- Repeat this remedy daily to get the desired results.
Benefits of Lemon juice and olive oil mixture
Lemon juice has strong acidic and antimicrobial properties that fight off the fungal infection. It soothes your skin and controls the growth of fungus. Olive oil moisturizes the skin and keeps it soft and supple. Use this remedy daily for some time, and you will get smooth and beautiful skin devoid of any infection.
Lemon juice may irritate sensitive skin. Hence, those with a history of allergy must rub a small amount of the lemon juice on their arm to check their skins sensitivity to the lemon.
You May Like: How To Remove Contact Lenses With Nails
Treatment For Nail Fungus
Treatment can take several months with prescription oral medicine and up to a year with topical products. Repeat nail fungus infections are common.
- topical ciclopirox
Oral antifungal medicines may need to be taken for 6 to 12 weeks and have a higher cure rate than topical treatments. They work by allowing a fungus-free nail to grow over the old one. Because they work faster, you and your doctor may prefer use of an oral agent when possible. If you cannot use an oral medicine or do not want to take systemic therapy, topical treatment may be an option.
Oral medicine for nail fungus infections may cause problems with your liver and may also have dangerous drug interactions. If you are taking oral antifungal medication, you may need to have regular lab tests to check on your liver. Always have your doctor or pharmacist check for any drug interactions with your prescription medicines, and over-the-counter, herbal supplement or vitamin products.
Topical efinaconazole and topical tavaborole are only approved to be used on the toenails. Topical ciclopirox is used to treat fungal infections of the toenails and the fingernails. These topical treatments are typically used for 48 weeks.
Side effects from topical medications are usually mild and may include redness, swelling, ingrown toenail, or stinging upon application. Most patients can tolerate these minor side effects.
How To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus On Feet Quickly And Naturally
Nail fungus under the toes is a very unattractive condition that is usually very difficult to get rid of. Topical creams do not always work as planned and they can have very serious side effects attached. The home remedy world has a solution that is all organic and chemical free that actually works, and works well, on removing toe fungus without any side effects or discomfort.
Don’t Miss: Does Varisi Nail Solution Work
How Is Toenail Fungus Treated
Toenail fungus is notoriously tricky to treat. You may need to treat the condition for several months to get rid of the fungus. Still, toenail fungus often comes back.
A dermatologist or podiatrist can explain your treatment options. If you have a mild case that doesnt bother you, your provider may recommend no treatment.
Toenail fungus treatment options include:
- Oral antifungal medication: You take prescribed medication, such terbinafine , itraconazole and fluconazole , to treat the fungi. You will need to take this medication every day for several months . Your provider may use blood tests to check for potential medication side effects. These medications can affect the liver and interact with other medications, so oral antifungals are not for everyone.
- Topical medication: You regularly apply a medication right on the nail. The medication treats the fungi over time. Topical medications are most effective when paired with oral medications.
- Laser treatments: Your provider directs a high-tech laser beam and special lights at the toenail to treat the fungus. Lasers are FDA approved for temporary increase of clear nail in nail fungus but is not a cure. Cure rates for laser treatment are lower than oral and topical mediations so they are not typically used as first line treatments for nail fungus.
Read Also: How To Get Kids To Stop Biting Their Nails
The Dog Owners Guide To Guide To Canine Nail Fungus
Canine nail fungus is a fungal infection that is caused by the fungal microorganism Blastomyces dermatitidis. This health problem is often seen in sporting and working dogs .
The main reason working dogs are more prone to this condition is because they live a working and active lifestyle that makes them more prone to coming into contact with the areas that the fungal microorganisms grow i.e. in moist dark places , streams, rivers and creeks where the Ph levels are low.
Read Also: How Do You Get Dip Nails Off
Diagnosis Of Hand Fungus Or Fungus On Fingers
The diagnosis done by the clinical exposition and other skin diseases that have a similar aspect should be excluded.
Further diagnostic examinations are the same as for other dermatophyte contaminations and may include skin scrapings, fungal cultures or biopsy.
A characteristic clinical sign that is evocative of the skin rash being fungal in origin is called the two feet one hand syndrome. In this instance, both feet may have the same dermatophyte rash and one hand .
It is typically the commanding hand or hand that is used for grooving the feet that are infected with the rash.
Related Reading: Clammy Hands and How to Prevent Them
Why Does It Develop
A fungal nail infection occurs from the overgrowth of fungi in, under, or on the nail. Fungi thrive in warm, moist environments, so this type of environment can cause them to naturally overpopulate. The same fungi that cause jock itch, athletes foot, and ringworm can cause nail infections.
Fungi that are already present in or on your body can cause nail infections. If you have come in contact with someone else who has a fungal infection, you may have contracted it as well. Fungal infections affect toenails more commonly than fingernails, likely because your toes are usually confined to shoes, where theyre in a warm, moist environment.
If you get a manicure or pedicure at a nail salon, be sure to ask how the staff disinfects their tools and how often they do it. Tools, such as emery boards and nail clippers, can spread fungal infections from person to person if theyre not sanitized.
Also Check: How To Take Off Nail Polish Without Remover
About Fungal Infections In Dogs
Fungal infections can develop into serious health conditions. As previously mentioned dogs that are prone to digging are more likely to come into contact with potentially dangerous fungal organisms. Although most dogs that have a fairly strong immune system are able to fight off fungal infections, if their immune system has become weak due to a previous infection or illness the fungal infection can lead to serious health problems including arthritis, bone infections and even pneumonia.
Although most fungal infections tend to only affect the skin some can also affect the respiratory system because the infectious spores are breathed into the lungs where they then affect other tissues. The most dangerous fungal infections to affect dogs include Blastomycosis, Coccidioidomycosis, Cryptococcsis, Histoplasmosis and Sporotrichosis.
Each type of fungi may cause different symptoms. For example Coccidioidomycosis tends to affect the bones which can then lead to lameness. Dogs that contract Blastomycosis can develop eye problems and dogs that become infected with Histoplasmosis can develop digestive problems as the fungal infection tends to congregate in the intestines.
Sets With Creams And A Nail Scraper
Treatment sets that contain two creams and a nail scraper can also be used for the topical treatment of nail fungus:
- One cream has urea in it, which softens the nail so it can be removed.
- The other cream contains bifonazole, which has an antifungal effect.
For this treatment, the affected toe or finger first has to be soaked in warm water for ten minutes and then dried. After that, the urea-based cream is applied to the nail, and the nail is covered with an adhesive bandage. After 24 hours, the bandage is removed and the toe or finger is held in warm water again. The softened layer of the nail is then scraped off using a spatula, the cream is applied again and the nail is covered with a new bandage. This treatment is carried out over 14 days. Once the infected part of the nail has been scraped away completely, the skin beneath is treated for another four weeks with a bifonazole cream.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Nail Polish Out Of White Clothes
Don’t Miss: How To Get Child To Stop Biting Nails
Whos At Risk For Fungal Infections
There are many different causes of fungal nail infections. Each cause has a treatment of its own. Although many of the causes of a fungal nail infection are preventable, some risk factors increase the likelihood of developing one. Youre more likely to develop a fungal nail infection if you:
- wear closed-toe shoes, such as tennis shoes or boots
Nail infections occur more often in men than in women, and the infections are found in adults more often than in children. If you have family members who often get these types of fungal infections, youre more likely to get them as well.
Older adults have a high risk for getting fungal nail infections because they have poorer circulation. The nails also grow more slowly and thicken as we age.
A fungal infection of the nail may affect part of the nail, the entire nail, or several nails.
Common signs of a fungal nail infection include:
- a distorted nail that may lift off from the nail bed
- an odor coming from the infected nail
- a brittle or thickened nail
Tips For Prevention Of Fungal Nails
Nail fungus causes only 50% of abnormal-appearing nails. It can be hard to tell the difference between the different causes of discolored nails . Onychomycosis is often not treated. Reasons to receive treatment include
No one knows where a specific person catches the fungus, as it is everywhere. However, since the fungus does thrive in warm moist areas , there are certain areas one should avoid or use with caution. Shower floors, locker rooms, and swimming pools are suspected of being sources of the fungus, although there are no studies proving this fact. Nail polish and acrylic nails also make the nail less breathable and make the nail more susceptible to fungal infection. Fungi are everywhere in the air, the dust, and the soil. Hygienic measures such as spraying socks and footgear sound sensible, and perhaps these measures can even help a little bit. However, avoiding tight, nonbreathing shoes or steering clear of athletic facility floors may very well be the best prevention available. Daily washing of the feet and drying between the toes can help to prevent nail fungus. The fungi carried on the coats of pets, like cats and dogs, dont often cause nail fungus. Wearing white socks does not help.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get Nail Polish Out Of Clothes
How Do You Treat White Toenail Fungus
Often, you can take care of a fungal nail infection at home: Try over-the-counter antifungal nail creams and ointments. Several products are available. If you notice white markings on the surfaces of the nails, file them off, soak your nails in water, dry them, and apply the medicated cream or lotion.
similarly, What is the white part of your nail?
Lunulae cover the bottom of your nail, just above your cuticle. Lunulae are part of your nail matrix. The matrix refers to the tissue just beneath your nail. It contains nerves, lymph, and blood vessels.
in the same way, What kills toenail fungus instantly? Hydrogen peroxide can kill fungus that grows on toenails. You can directly wipe hydrogen peroxide on your infected toes or toenails with a clean cloth or cotton swab. Hydrogen peroxide can also be used in a foot soak.
likewise What is the fastest home remedy for toenail fungus?
Try One of These 10 Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
- Vicks VapoRub.
Will nail fungus grow out?
With treatment, many people can get rid of nail fungus. Even when the fungus clears, your nail may look unhealthy until the infected nail grows out. A fingernail grows out in 4 to 6 months and a toenail in 12 to 18 months.
Causes Of Toenail Fungus
- Onychomycosis stems from a number of fungal pathogens, primarily a certain group of fungi known as dermatophytes. Other relatively less common carriers of this infection are yeast and mold.
- Your susceptibility to this type of infection increases with age as older people tend to have increasingly brittle and dry nails that may allow the fungus to slip in through the cracks.
- Direct skin-to-skin contact with people grappling with fungal infections like athletes foot or ringworm on their hands can transmit the fungus onto you, paving the way for a toenail infection.
- A warm, moist environment such as a pool deck or a locker room provide the ideal breeding grounds for these infection-causing fungi. Therefore, people who walk barefoot in such areas tend to pick up this infection quite easily.
- Another common way of catching a fungal nail infection is by sharing an infected nail clipper or towel.
- Moreover, people who are prone to having moisture-ridden nails or often wear sweaty socks and shoes are increasingly predisposed to getting a fungal nail infection all by themselves.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Contact Lenses With Nails
A Pharmacist Can Help With Fungal Nail Infections
Speak to a pharmacist if the look of your nail bothers you or it’s painful.
They may suggest:
- antifungal nail cream it can take up to 12 months to cure the infection and does not always work
- nail-softening cream it’s used for 2 weeks to soften the nail so the infected part can be scraped off
The infection is cured when you see healthy nail growing back at the base.