Do I Have Black Toenail Fungus Or A Bruise Underneath My Toenail
- In our experience, it is much more likely to have a bruise underneath the toenail rather than black toenail fungus.
- In a lot of people, it is common to have both toenail fungi develop first. This toenail fungus can make the toenail thicker, leading to bleeding and bruising developing underneath the toenail.
- This can make the toenail thick, dark, and discolored.
Black Toenail Fungus Or Black Toenail Melanoma
A subungual melanoma can develop underneath the toenail. This is a dangerous toenail cancer and toe cancer.
Toenail cancer is sporadic and accounts for only about 1-2% of all diagnosed melanomas in the human body.
Of the subungual melanomas, 60% are found in the fingernails, and about 40% are found in the toenails. It is sporadic ever even to consider the black toenail fungus or toenail melanoma question.
Subungual melanomas are more common in older individuals 60+ years or older and have a history of cancerous skin growth.
A subungual melanoma or a toenail melanoma black toenail line is usually very wide .The black line extending into the epidermis is called a Hutchinson sign. It is usually associated with a thickened toenail nodule. It might also possibly show bleeding that extends into the surrounding toenail skin.is;
Usually, only one toenail is infected. It is scarce for there to be multiple subungual melanomas.
Important melanoma warning: It is essential to see your podiatrist or your oncologist perform a biopsy.
If a subungual melanoma is not detected, it can spread through the rest of your body. Going to see your podiatrist is a great start to diagnose whether you had a black toenail fungus or a black line associated with subungual melanoma.
How To Use Them
A person interested in trying a blend of essential oils can buy the oils online or from a health food store. Mix the oil with a carrier oil before applying the mixture to the affected nails.
Ozonized oils are oils infused with ozone gas. Examples of oils that are available in ozonized form include sunflower oil and olive oil.
According to , ozonized oils show positive effects similar to a traditional medication called terbinafine cream in treating one type of fungus. In this study, the researchers used rabbits to test the effectiveness of the treatment.
Another study carried out on 400 people tested how ozonized oils affected fungal infections. In this 2011 study , researchers used ozonized sunflower oil to treat toenail fungus.
Their results indicated that ozonized oils cured up to 90.5 percent of the total infections with only a 2.8 percent relapse rate after 1 year. The researchers concluded the ozonized sunflower oil works more effectively than ketoconazole cream, which is an antifungal medication.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus Naturally
Consult A Medical Professional
If you start noticing your toes changing in color, becoming painful or any other strange and sudden change in the appearance of your toenails, dont hesitate to seek medical advice. Our bodies have wonderful ways of communicating to us when something is wrong, our toenails are just one of these ways.
Retain A Healthy And Balanced Foot As Well As Toe Regime
Consult your doctor if you discover an adjustment in nail color or structure. A very early fungi is your ideal possibility to see what its everything about.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you believe you have an infection or fungi, like athletes foot.
The fungus can also infect your nails if it is not dealt with.
Read Also: Will Toenail Removal Cure Nail Fungus
Laser Procedure For Toenail Fungus Under The Nails
Using a laser directly on the toenails helps to reach those areas underneath and inside the nail. This is because the type of light used can penetrate through the tough layers of the nails. Laser procedures are very convenient because they can be completed in under 10 minutes per foot.
The PinPointe foot laser is FDA-approved for;the temporary increase of clear nail in patients with onychomycosis.
This machine can be used on almost all patients because it has virtually no side effects. In one study, over 83% of people who received three sessions with a laser and improved their foot hygiene had no fungi after 18-months.
Some people start to see visible improvement after just one visit, although you may need to return a small number of times for follow-up.
The laser works by targeting the fungi without hurting your skin and nails. Its designed to be at the right level to penetrate your nail and damage the infecting fungi, while not being too high to cause burning or pain for your feet. Most people dont feel anything, or they just feel a warming sensation.
At the time of the procedure, the toenail will usually not become instantly clearit takes time to grow out. As long as your infection is treated and you dont get re-infected, you should see new healthy, clear nail as it grows out within 12-18 months.
Fungal Nail Infection Symptoms
Symptoms are different depending on which type of fungal nail infection you have. They usually start mild and get more serious.
- At first, you may only see a white or yellow spot under your nail. Over time, this spreads and can turn your whole nail white, yellow, green, or black.
- The nail may thicken and could be hard to trim.
- It may start to curl up or down or loosen from the nail bed.
- Your nail could become brittle and crumble when you touch it.
- Your nail may become misshapen.
- You may notice a bad smell.
Itâs easy to ignore fungal nail infections at first, since you may not have any pain. But if you donât treat them, it can hurt to put any pressure on the area. If an infection gets bad enough, it could even become hard to walk.
Read Also: Does Nail Polish Remover Kill Bed Bugs
Nail Fungus And Acrylic Nails
Acrylic nails are plastic nails that are applied over your natural nails. While they are not particularly dangerous, frequent application of these chemicals can cause an allergic reaction or damage your nails. This increases the risk of a fungal infection. It can be difficult to notice as the acrylic nails will cover the evidence, allowing the fungus to thrive in a moist and dark place.
If you are prone to fungal infection, it may be best to avoid false nails in general.
Before We Start . . .
Be sure to consult a doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or if you have a preexisting health condition .
How Can I Prevent Toenail Fungus
Theres no way to guarantee that you wont get toenail fungus. But you can take several steps to help prevent it:
- Avoid going barefoot in communal areas such as hotel rooms / showers, public showers, locker rooms and swimming pools. Most people pick up fungus in these situations. It helps to wear flip flops in these public areas.
- If you have a family member with foot fungus or nail fungus, try to use different shower or wear flip flops in the shower to avoid coming in contact with it.
- Trauma due to accidental or aggressive clipping of the nails can turn into portals of entry for the fungus.
- Clean your nail trimmer before using it.
- Do not tear or rip your toenails on purpose.
- If you have diabetes, follow all foot care recommendations from your healthcare provider.
- Keep your feet dry. Make sure to fully dry your feet after a shower.
- Soak toenails in warm water before cutting them. Or you can cut your nails after a shower or bath.
- Trim toenails straight across .
- Wear shoes that fit correctly. They should not be too loose or tight around the toes.
Also Check: How To Cure Peeling Nails
How To Get Rid Of Nail Fungus On Feet Quickly And Naturally
Nail fungus under the toes is a very unattractive condition that is usually very difficult to get rid of. Topical creams do not always work as planned and they can have very serious side effects attached. The home remedy world has a solution that is all organic and chemical free that actually works, and works well, on removing toe fungus without any side effects or discomfort.
Nail Fungus Consumer Review
Did you take off your shoes and discover a black toenail? Once youre over the bad surprise of finding it, its important to determine the cause to apply the best possible treatment.;Is it black toenail fungus? Was your toe injured? Could it be related to cancer or diabetes?
Most often a black toenail is caused by an injury or a fungal infection. Sometimes a home treatment solves the problem. Sometimes you should visit a doctor. Whats the right thing to do?
Keep reading to learn how to identify, prevent, and treat black toenails in the most appropriate way.
You May Like: Where To Buy Acrylic Nail Kit
Stop This Skin Infection In Its Tracks With These Over
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the bestproducts; youcan learn more about ourreview process here.We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Verywell / Sabrina Jiang
Toenail fungus is a common fungal condition that often starts after a rash on the foot spreads to the nails. When mild, it looks like white and yellow spots growing under the nail beds. But if left untreated, the fungus can grow severely by hardening the nails and spreading to other toes.
The fungus often begins in the form of athlete’s foot between the toes or on the soles of the feet. At this stage, the fungal infection is easier to treat with over-the-counter medication. But Shari Lipner, MD, a board-certified dermatologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine, told Verywell Health toenail fungus can be difficult to treat because of how slow the nails grow. The more severe the toenail fungus, the thicker the nail, and the more nails involved makes it that much harder to treat the nails even with effective therapies, she says.;
Diagnosing the fungal infection early is key to make treatments effective. Dr. Lipner recommends visiting a board-certified dermatologist to properly treat the infection if it grows to be too severe.;
Here are a few of the best over-the-counter toenail fungus treatments on the market.
What Does It Mean When Toenail Fungus Turns Black
- Patients frequently ask us, what does it mean when toenail fungus turns black?
- There is a chance that this could be a black yeast or a black toenail fungus, but it is usually dry blood.
- This usually means that the toenail is getting thick and ripping away from the underlying skin.
- These small blood vessels called capillaries rupture and form dry blood underneath the toenail.
- As the toenail dies, the toenail will eventually turn black and die.
You May Like: What Is The Best Brad Nailer
Use Powder For Your Feet
After a shower, shake some on your feet and let them dry. Corn starch is preferred with some people. Some people have found great results in treating toe fugus with this Vietnamese Tonic.
The most effective option is medicated powder. Athletes foot as well as other fungis will be secured from this medicine.
How To Remove Toenail Fungus With Bleach
Despite the lack of solid research, bleach is widely used to get rid of toenail fungus. Many anecdotes around the world swear by the effective results of bleach. And with a few precautions in mind, you too can use bleach to safely remove toenail fungus.
What You Need
- Fill the tub with half a gallon of water.
- Add 1tbsp of bleach to the water.
- Soak your feet in this solution for at least ten minutes.
- After 10 minutes wash your feet.
- Dont forget to drain the water in the tub and make sure not to use it for any other purpose to avoid the risk of spreading the infection.
- Repeat the process twice a day until all symptoms disappear.
You can also dip Q-tips in a water-bleach solution and apply it directly to the infected nails. You can repeat this process once a day, every other day.
Also Check: How Much Is It To Go To Nail School
Natural Ways To Deal With Nail Fungus
Fight the funk.
This article was written by Hallie Levine and provided by our partners at Prevention.
That pedicure you shelled out big bucks for may have left you with an unwelcome gift: onychomycosis, otherwise known as nail fungus. Or maybe it’s a souvenir from the shared showers at your gym or your barefoot walks around the public pool. Although it starts innocuously enough, as a white or yellow spot underneath your finger or toenail, your nail can start to thicken and even crumble;as the fungus penetrates deeper and deeper. Ick. And fungus is more likely to appear and persist in your toenails because your tootsies are often confined in the warm, moist environment of your shoes, where these little buggers can thrive.
If you see a dermatologist, you’ll most likely get a prescription for an antifungal oral medication such as Lamisil or Sporanox, which tend to be expensive, don’t always work, and carry side effects ranging from skin rashes to potentially toxic liver damage. “That’s not pleasant, which is why so many people look for a drug-free alternative,” says Joe Graedon, a pharmacologist at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy at Chapel Hill and author of The People’s Pharmacy.;There are newer topical treatments, such as Kerydin, but they also require a prescription and can take up to a year to work. Here are some of Graedon’s top drug-free remedies for toenail fungus.
Tea Tree Oil And Castor Oil
With natural antiseptic and antifungal properties, castor oil and tea tree oil for nail fungus have been used for centuries. Undiluted tea tree oil can be applied directly to affected nails to help kill fungus; ten minutes after application, gently massage the oil into the nail using an old toothbrush.
When applied to surrounding skin, tea tree oil is best diluted with a carrier oil such as coconut or olive oil. Continue to use daily until several weeks after new nail growth has occurred to prevent the fungus from returning.
You May Like: How To Get Child To Stop Biting Nails
Laser Treatment For Toenail Fungus
Laser therapy is a treatment for toenail fungus infection , a hard-to-treat infection that changes the appearance and texture of the nail. There are several types of laser treatment options, including those that use light and those that use carbon dioxide . Laser therapy is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for this use.
Fungal infections of the nails usually require several laser treatment sessions before they completely resolve. It may take between six and 18 months of consistent treatments for laser therapy to be effective. While these treatments may cause side effects such as pain and/or bleeding of the surrounding area, they are considered safe.
Get Informed About Toenail Fungus Treatments
We are proud to empower consumers affected by nail fungus. We do this by providing the latest information and recommendations on fungus treatments.
Visit Nail Fungus Consumer Review for quality reviews about black toenail fungus treatments.
Learn more about Emoninail to get rid of any kind of nail fungus as fast as possible.
Visit our main website to get a broader and deeper picture about the different treatments available to get rid of toenail fungus fast.
You May Like: How Much Does Nail School Cost
How To Prevent Toenail Fungs
Prevention is always better than cure, and therefore, taking precautions to avoid toenail fungus is as important as treating toenail fungus.
- Remember to wear flip-flops or shower sandals when entering public areas such as gyms, locker rooms, changing rooms near pools, spas, and public showers.
- Whenever your socks get sweaty, change them into a clean pair, and dont reuse worn socks without washing them.
- Choose shoes that fit comfortably, have room to breathe, and keep your feet dry.
- Keep your shoes in direct sunlight regularly to kill any fungus or bacteria.
- Never wear damp shoes or socks.
- Use sanitized nail clippers and other nail styling tools.
Toenail Fungus Home Care
Sometimes itâs possible to treat your toenail fungus at home. You can try:
- Over the counter antifungal creams or ointments. File or cut off any white markings on your nails. Soak your nails in water and dry off before you put on the medicated cream.
- Special nail care. If you keep your nails trimmed, it can reduce the pressure and pain you feel. You can also thin your nail bed by filing it down. This can help antifungal creams get to the problem easier.
You May Like: How To Take Off Powder Nails
Doctor Prescribed Ways To Treat Nail Fungus
Fortunately, there several ways to get rid of nail fungus. Most treatments aim to eradicate the causative organism and restore the normal appearance of healthy nails. Treatment options range from self-care remedies, to medications recommended by a general practitioner, to ointments bought over-the-counter without a prescription.
Its important to note that repeat infections are common even with treatment. Whats more, remedies are not all equally effective with some even causing possible side effects.
With that in mind, here are some of the top ways to treat and get rid of nail fungus at home.