Gel Nails At Home: A Simple Diy Guide For Beginners
Looking to do gel nails at home to avoid a trip to the nail salon?
Doing gel nails at home isnt so different from the nail salons. So long as you have the right equipment and have the patience to learn, youre going to find this to be rather enjoyable to do.
Will it work? Yes, perfectly but only if you know how to do it right!
In this guide, youll learn:
How To Remove Gel Nail Polish Easily Without Acetone
I love a long wearing manicure, but I dont love the whole soak off process. I feel like gel nails take even longer than dip to soak off my nails, and I would really like to avoid soaking my nails in acetone for 20 minutes. I tried the little clips you clip onto your fingers, and I also tried the whole wrapping them in foil thing and I just dont love those processes. It takes forever, and you cant use your hands.
I saw this Facebook ad on my timeline over and over again with this magic remover basically bubbling up the gel polish and scraping off in no time flat. I ordered it straight off that ad and awaited the magic.
Come to find out, this stuff is on and priced significantly less. Why did I spend over $20 on two bottles when you can get 3 for $11? I dont know. Anyway
When it arrived I tried the Magic Remover on a dip manicure I had on . It didnt really do much. It helped getting the soak off process started but I gave up after 45 minutes of it sitting on my nails and switched to acetone to soak off. So, word of wise this stuff doesnt work well with dip powder.
I then tried it on a gel manicure and I really like it! But, there are a few things you have to be aware of. It does not magically bubble up and fall off your nails, nor does it only take 2 minutes. The ads are really confusing because that does not happen at all. Im pretty sure that ad used regular nail polish and sped the video footage up by 100x. Haha.
What Youll Need To Remove Gel Nails At Home
- Take a sheet of aluminum foil and rip it into 10 pieces long enough to wrap each of your fingertips. You will also need a cotton ball or pad for each finger.
- Soak your cotton ball in the 100% Acetone nail polish remover and place over your fingernail. Use the aluminum foil to wrap it around the cotton and your fingertip to hold in place.
- Leave on for 15-20 mins. You may need to leave on longer or shorter depending on the effectiveness of the acetone.
- When the time is up, remove the foil and the cotton. You should see the polish lifting off your fingernails. Using the cuticle stick, gently scrape off the remaining nail polish until it is removed.
- If you have any polish left on your nails, you can use a nail buffer to gently remove the remaining polish.
- Apply cuticle or hand lotion to soften and moisturize your nails. You may want to let your natural nails breathe for a week before reapplying the gel.
Read Also: Dashing Diva Nail Strips Removal
How To Remove Gel
We know too well the temptation that comes with wanting to pick and peel off your gel polish. That moment of satisfaction will be fleeting, but the damage you inflict on your nails could take weeks to repair. Sarah Gibson Tuttle, CEO and founder of the celeb-favorite nail salon Olive & June, shares the rundown on how to safely remove a gel manicure at home.
Why Should You Opt For A Diy Gel Manicure Kit
Periodically applying a manicure regimen when you’re at home is beneficial because it keeps your nails strong and healthy. This may be the perfect time to practice and hone your skills when it comes to DIY gel nail paint.
It really is ideal to do gel nails at home in the following ways:
- It’s reasonably priced: Because you only have to worry about the expense of buying ingredients and equipment while applying gel nails at home, there is no need for additional service fees.
- It’s very convenient: You don’t have to travel to the salon, thus home gel manicures save you time spent on transportation.
- You get to make something new: In order to personalize your nail art, creating unique gel nail polish designs gives you the opportunity to try new colour and pattern ideas.
- It is frugal: Gel nail polish typically lasts 20-30 manicures per bottle.
- The volume of our S& L gel nail polish exceeds that of a gel polish bottle of normal volume. They are quite long-lasting.
- It’s ideal for you: Salons around the country rush to remove the sticky gel nail lacquer on your nails, but not nearly enough time for your nails to soak in the solution. You can more slowly soak off the gel paint while doing your own DIY as you will not hurt your nails.
You May Like: How To Take Contacts Out With Long Nails
How To Do Gel Nails Without Uv Light
I have already discussed the most appreciated technique to do gel nails. If you are searching for how to do gel nails without a UV, then I have other alternatives for you. But just to be clear, these methods may not be much efficient and will take you a long time to cure the polish.
Top 3 gel nail methods without using a UV light:
Gel Nails: 12 Points You Need To Understand About Gel Manicures
Theres a reason that how to do uv gel nails at home step by step have ended up being a modern charm mainstay: Theyre virtually indestructible, impossibly glossy, as well as provided at the majority of nail beauty salons. The most enticing facet of a gel mani? Zero danger in cracking your polish the minute you dig with your bag to inspect your phone in addition to, for numerous weeks to come.
Gel gloss are included stronger components that realize the nail tighter than traditional lacquers and also are solid sufficient to withstand day-to-day wear and tear without damaging, discusses Essie Global Lead Instructor Rita Comment. A few distinctions in between the formula and also your normal lacquer? Gel polishes are much more adaptable, so they withstand chips Gels are treated under a UV or LED light and brightens treatment in oxygen. Gels have to be eliminated by soaking in acetone for at the very least 10 minutes, while polishes can be quickly wiped away with nail gloss cleaner.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Nail Glue
Opi Gel Color Brand Name
1. OPI Gelcolor It should not come as a shock to see OPI on this checklist. OPI other hands to as a premium as well as top an with hydroxyanisole variety of shades and also with cool nail gloss names. Nevertheless, the majority of nail technology experts as well as clients, concur that the high quality is well worth the price. Consumers could locate OPI in nearly every beauty parlor, division or appeal supply shops or perhaps on-line. Although OPI and how to do gel nails at home step by step is a collection of gel shades is it really as considerable as their typical collection, OPI ensured to consist of clients faves. OPI is gel items need a UV or LED light for setting, or healing as well as is takes 30 secs to completely dry.
Four: Choose Your Polish
I went with Orly’s GelFX Kiss the Bride shade, a soft baby pink. Using the same steps Boyce suggested above, I started off painting one thin layer on my thumb, curing it for 30 seconds this time, then moving onto my other fingers. Once I was finished, I layered on a second coat and repeated these same steps for curing.
You May Like: How Do You Get Dip Nails Off
Essie Gel Couture Gloss
10. Essie Gel No gel nail gloss brand names checklist would certainly be total without Essie. Essie Gel Couture includes a simple two-step gel procedure, guaranteeing that best damages and also chip-free manicure for as much as 14 days. Among the reasons that this is such a terrific at-home gel system is since it does not need an LED or UV light for healing. Furthermore, the one-of-a-kind gloss brush swirl style makes sure ideal shade protection. Despite whether you are an expert manicurist, a beauty salon expert or a nail fanatic, you are bound to locate a premium item how to do gel nails at home step by step that is not just advertises that stunning, lasting, as well as healthy and balanced manicure, yet that is likewise budget-friendly as well as readily available in the shade of your selection.
Five: The Finishing Touches
Just because salons are closed, doesn’t mean we can’t do a little something special for ourselves at home. Try giving yourself a hand massage, for example.
Start off by placing a few drops of cuticle oil in the palm of your hand, and mixing it with your favorite lotion. Afterwards, “press down on the pressure points of your hand, such as in between the thumb and index finger,” Lin suggests. “This can help reduce stress.” The salon founder also recommends dipping a towel in warm water, or placing a wet towel in the microwave for 30 seconds and wrapping it around your hands once you’re done.
Also Check: How To Stop Toddler From Biting Nails
By Step Guide For Diy Gel Manicure
Here is a step-by-step instruction to show you how to apply your own gel manicures at home.
Prep your nails: To prep your nails before starting the gelling process is especially important since once the gel polish is applied, it is not something you can fix afterward. Gel manicures can’t be tried on since you will destroy them.
How Long Does Builder Gel Last
A manicure created with builder gel can last up to three weeks, but this often depends on which brand you use and how well you apply it plus, how well the old coat is removed. When applied on natural nails, a strong and healthy base is required.
Always make sure you follow your chosen gel brands instructions to get the best results. This often means only using products from your chosen gel nail system not mixing one builder gel with another brands top coat, for example.
You also need to make sure you use the right LED or UV nail lamp for the correct amount of time.
When the builder gel begins to grow out, you can infill just like you would with acrylic, or remove the set and apply another straight away providing the nail is still in good condition.
A post shared by Salons Direct on Sep 13, 2020 at 11:00am PDT
Read Also: How To Prepare Nails For Gel
How To Do Uv Gel Nails
From the headings, you must have guessed which technique I am going to discuss. Here is a step by step instructions to get your gel nails done at home.
1. To get an ultimate look from the gel nails, start the process with blank nails. So before getting into the main process, wipe off any polish leftovers you already have on your nails. Here is the best way to do that:
- Buff the top layer of the polish with a nail buffing block.
- Soak the cotton balls into acetone.
- Cover your fingernails with those balls and wear the nail polish soak off clips on each of your fingers. These clips do not allow the cotton balls to move from your nails. If you do not find soak off clips, use aluminum foils.
- Wait in that position for 15 to 20 minutes.
2. After taking off the clips, scrape off the residue with a cuticle remover. The previous polish should be lifting off by now. If you find difficulties to remove the nail paint with a scraper, use more acetone soaked cotton pads to wipe off the leftovers.
3. Now it is time to shape your nails. Start with cutting the nails at your desired shape and file the tip of each nail with a filer. Finally, give the nails whatever form you want. You can make them round, square, pointy, oval, or almond-shaped using a nail buffer block.
Buffing the top layer will make the gel polish to adhere to the nails better.
4. Once you have done shaping your nails, focus on your cuticles. You need to do four things in this step.
Gel Nail Steps Using The Mylee Gel Nail Kit
Watch the full process in my video above with some more handy tips and trick from a pro nail tech!
What You Need to Buy:
In order to follow the gel nail steps above youll need your own nail kit. Mylee do some great beginner bundles with everything you need to start doing your own gel nails at home and you can buy these direct from their website or on amazon:
Choose a few extra colours that you like and youre good to go!
Be sure to remove your gel nails safely to prevent any damage no peeling or picking! Take a look at my easy gel nail removal tutorial here or you could try the Mylee 6 Minute Magic Remover for extra quick removal!
Don’t Miss: How To Get Nail Polish Out Of White Clothes
Wet Bead Dry Bead Or Medium Bead
The next stage involves the difference between a Wet Bead, a Dry Bead, and a Medium Bead with a perfect Monomer to powder ratio.
This is essentially how much is applied to your Nail Brush Bead.
So lets start with a Wet Bead.
When you pick up a Bead you dip your brush in your Monomer and you want to push it down and get rid of all the bubbles.
This is called burping your brush and what this does is prevent bubbles in your acrylic when you apply it.
So then you wipe off the excess Monomer and all your liquid is going to be at the top of the brush. You want to turn that and dip it into your powder.
This is what a Wet Bead looks like:
A Wet Bead is going to spread and what these are primarily used for is around the Cuticle area when you want it to really sync with your natural nail.
Now Im going to show you a Dry Bead
Now with a Dry Bead, you see its harder to get the Bead off of the brush and thats not what you want to use.
If you ever see your Bead doing this go ahead and wipe it off on your towel and start over.
You are in control of your acrylic application so if its not looking the way you want it to just wipe it off and start over.
Now Im going to show you a Medium Bead and its perfect liquid to powder ratio and you can see how it has a definite border around the Bead and this is perfect for building your acrylic foundation.
Now that you know the differences between the Beads lets put it into practice. Im going to be showing you a three Bead application.
How To Do Your Polygel Nails At Home Prep The Nails
First, you must file down your own nail on the top. You can use a regular file but this is also where the electronic file comes into play. Because the electronic file will also help you get the skin around your nail. If you want your polygels to last you need to file your nails so that the polygels can grip better to your nails leading to them lasting for longer.
Next, you need to apply a base coat to your nails. Once again this will help the polygel grip to your natural nail thus leading to a longer-lasting effect. Once you apply the base coat to your nail you will need to put it under the UV lamp to dry.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Nail Polish Out Of Pants
How To Do Gel Nails At Home: A Details Step By Step Guide
There is no better way to treat yourself than getting a gel manicure. This nail enhancement technique offers the strength of acrylic paints and a natural look as well. In case you are going to get gel nails, the first thing you will need is proper instructions. If you are looking for anything like that, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, you will get the complete guide on how to do gel nails at home.