How To Prevent Yeast Infections
There are a number of ways to prevent a yeast infection.
- Wear cotton underwear. Loose-fitting, cotton underwear is most conducive to a healthy microbiome. Avoid garments that are tight and arent as breathable, as well as things like sweaty workout wear. These clothes can create a humid, damp area, which is the ideal environment for Candida overgrowth. Because of this, it is also important to change out of damp or sweaty clothes, like workout clothes or swimwear, quickly.
- Avoid hot tubs and scalding hot baths, which foster Candida growth, due to the warm, moist environments.
- Take probiotics or eat yogurt with probiotics since they help balance the vaginal microflora. As well as treatment for yeast infections, probiotics are helpful in the prevention of yeast infections. The best probiotic to take will be with those containing the Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 bacteria.
- Avoid behaviors that may lead to yeast infections, such as poor hygiene. When performing personal hygiene practices, avoid douching, scented vaginal washes or scented lotions, as well as perfumed sanitary products near the genitals, which can throw off the balance of the vaginas microflora.
- Avoid sugary and processed foods. Yeast grows from sugar, so this can cause a surplus of yeast growth.
Does Yogurt Prevent Or Treat Yeast Infections
But, more research still needs to be done to say for sure if yogurt with Lactobacillus or other probiotics can prevent or treat vaginal yeast infections. If you think you have a yeast infection, see your doctor or nurse to make sure before taking any over-the-counter medicine.
Is It Safe To Use Over
Yes, but always talk with your doctor or nurse before treating yourself for a vaginal yeast infection. This is because:
- You may be trying to treat an infection that is not a yeast infection. Studies show that two out of three women who buy yeast infection medicine don’t really have a yeast infection.2 Instead, they may have an STI or bacterial vaginosis . STIs and BV require different treatments than yeast infections and, if left untreated, can cause serious health problems.
- Using treatment when you do not actually have a yeast infection can cause your body to become resistant to the yeast infection medicine. This can make actual yeast infections harder to treat in the future.
- Some yeast infection medicine may weaken condoms and diaphragms, increasing your chance of getting pregnant or an STI when you have sex. Talk to your doctor or nurse about what is best for you, and always read and follow the directions on the medicine carefully.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Rid Of Nail Polish Stain On Clothes
Ruling Out Other Vaginal Conditions
A few other vaginal conditions result in symptoms that are like those of thrush. See your doctor if you:
- have had several episodes of thrush in a short period
- have had recent sex without a condom with a new partner
- have associated pain in your pelvic area or abnormal bleeding
- treated yourself with a thrush treatment and your symptoms havent gone away.
How Effective Are Home Remedies For Treating Yeast Infections
Yeast infections are the most common type of vaginal infection after bacterial vaginosis, according to a report published in the journal The Lancet.
Vaginal yeast infections are the result of an overgrowth of the fungus Candida albicans, and less frequently other Candida species, such as C. glabrata, C. parapsilosis, C. tropicalis, and C. krusei.
Treating yeast infections typically requires killing the fungi with antifungal drugs called azoles, which can be purchased by prescription or over the counter . These include:
Though some positive anecdotal reports can be found on the internet, most natural remedies for yeast infections are not supported by rigorous clinical studies.
Read Also: How To Cure Fungal Nail Infection
Diet For A Yeast Infection
The foods you eat may be contributing to your recurring yeast infections. Yeast loves sugar. Avoiding the following foods can curb the growth of yeast in your body.
- White flour and rice
- Foods or drinks fermented with yeast
- Foods made up of simple sugars
Although avoiding these foods may help you avoid a yeast infection, this diet can be difficult to maintain. Fortunately, you may not need to completely eliminate these foods to see positive effects in the number or severity of yeast infections you get. Cutting back in small amounts may help.
It may also help to increase your intake of healthy proteins and fats and increase your intake of low-starch fruits and vegetables. Eating a low-sugar diet doesnt mean you have to go hungry you just need to eat more from other food groups.
What Should I Do If I Have Frequent Yeast Infections
If you get more than four vaginal yeast infections per year, have a discussion with your healthcare provider. Your provider may:
- Test to confirm that you have a vaginal yeast infection.
- Order a blood sugar test for diabetes.
- Test for HIV/AIDS.
- Discuss any possible hormonal changes .
Your healthcare provider will use your test results to make sure you receive the right treatment. It can be important to treat the underlying cause while treating your yeast infection. Controlling the reason for the infection can help prevent future vaginal yeast infections.
Recommended Reading: How To Fix Ingrown Nail
When Is A Longer
When treating complicated vaginal yeast infections, an initial treatment is typically followed by maintenance treatment. In the initial phase of treatment,
- creams or suppositories are used for 1 to 2 weeks, or
- instead, one oral tablet is taken every three days for about a week.
This is usually followed by maintenance treatment, where you take one antifungal tablet per week over a period of six months. If you cant take tablets for instance, due to a pregnancy or interactions with other drugs you can use only creams or suppositories for the whole treatment period.
Find What Causes Candida In Your Body
To cure candida naturally and permanently, you have to identify what causes candida overgrowth in your body. This is very important since they are different causes that can cause candida to grow out of control each may need a completely different treatment.
Many severe cases of candida overgrowth start as simple causes of candidiasis and candida albicans infections that get complicated overtime as the cause of the infection wasnt properly addressed during the candida overgrowth treatment.
Recommended Reading: Does Peroxide Kill Nail Fungus
Preventing Vaginal Yeast Infections With Lifestyle And Diet Changes
If you prefer to listen to this article, click on the SoundCloud player below.
About 75% of women will experience a vaginal yeast infection sometime in their life, and up to 45% of those women will have repeat yeast infections. Thats a daunting prospect if youve had one before its not something you want to do again. Thankfully, you can make lifestyle and diet changes to prevent a yeast infection.
What Can You Do For Fungal Infection In Private Parts
The first step in getting rid of this problem is to visit your doctor.
There are many different medications that your doctor may prescribe for you, such as a cream or gel that they will use to apply to the area.
While this will provide some instant relief, it will not cure the infection.
Also, these creams and gels can be very expensive, which is why some women do not go to the doctors office and try to find alternative treatments for this condition, such as clotrimazole 2 per day cream.
Many women choose to try using a topical cream called Clearogen.
This is actually an over-the-counter product that is available without a prescription.
You can also buy a suppository that contains an anti-fungal active ingredient called vagistat.
If you would prefer to use oral anti-fungal medication, your doctor may prescribe pills that contain fluconazole.
Another type of treatment that provides some relief for women who have an external fungal infection in the vaginal area is to take a warm, relaxing bath in lukewarm water.
This will relax you and allow the liquid that is in the tub to kill any infection that may be present.
Also, this type of treatment does not cure the problem, but it will provide some immediate relief from the irritation due to the infection.
To avoid having to deal with the hassle of purchasing an entirely new cream or gel every time you need one, it is recommended that you learn how to recognize when you are getting a Candida infection.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Gel Nail Polish
Be Wary Of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is often marketed as a natural substance to help manage acne and other skin conditions. But, there is debate as to whether it can help with yeast infections. On its own, it certainly won’t cure an infection. But it could prove helpful when combined with other treatments in certain cases.
For example, a 2015 study published in Biomedical Research International examined how 32 strains of antibiotic-resistant Candida Albicans reacted to tea tree oil. The researchers found that tea tree oil may reduce this yeast’s level of resistance. In other words, tea tree oil could increase susceptibility of certain yeast infections to fluconazole the antifungal medication often used to treat these infections.
Sitz Bath With Chamomile Tea
Chamomile has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties, which can help to treat and reduce symptoms associated with genital yeast infections, like itching and burning. Learn more about the benefits of chamomile tea.
- 3 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers
How to prepare:
Boil the water, then remove from heat and add the dried chamomile flowers. Cover and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Then strain and pour into your sitz basin, along with more water to fill it up. After performing adequate genital hygiene, sit in the sitz bath for 20 minutes, once per day. You can also soak a gauze in this tea and pat the genital areas with it once per day.
You May Like: Cartier Rose Gold Nail Ring
Complications And Side Effects Of A Yeast Infection
If your yeast infection remains untreated for a long time it could develop into complications. Here are some signs that may show you are developing a complication:
- Symptoms like redness, swelling, and itching become so severe that it causes tears or sores
- A recurrence of a yeast infection four or more times in one year
Who Should Use Antifungals
The only women who can safely use nonprescription products for vaginal fungal infections are those who have already had a candidal vaginal infection and for whom it was diagnosed as such by a physician. Once you have had this diagnosis, you can safely recognize these infections for the rest of your life.
However, if you have never had such an infection, you may be mistaken about what it is, and could have another problem that will not be helped by the OTC products, such as a trichomonal or bacterial vaginal infection. If you use the products in these cases, you delay proper treatment and the condition will only worsen.
You should not use OTC antifungals if you are under the age of 12 years, if you are pregnant, or if you have signs of a sexually transmitted disease, such as fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, rash, lower abdominal pain, back pain, a foul-smelling discharge, or pain in the shoulder.
Further, if your vaginal fungal infection comes back within 2 months, this could be a sign of pregnancy, diabetes, or even HIV/AIDS. You should check with your physician rather than attempt self-treatment.
Remember, if you have questions, Consult Your Pharmacist.
Read Also: Is Emuaid Good For Nail Fungus
How To Diagnose Fungal Infection In The Vaginal Area
How to diagnose a fungal infection in the vaginal area depends upon a few factors.
The type of fungus involved, its stage of development, and your body chemistry.
And the following are some factors that you need to take into consideration when you want to know how to diagnose fungal infection in the vaginal area.
When it comes to the type of fungus involved, you have four different types which are candida Albicans, staphylococcus, chlamydia, and gonorrhea.
Yeast is the most common form, but it can also be ringworm that appears on the skin.
It is important to know which type of fungi is present in the vaginal area because not all types are the same.
Fungi that cause yeast infections tend to grow rapidly, often within hours of being infected.
The first step in knowing how to diagnose this type of infection is to get a medical exam.
You will have to go through an examination where a doctor can look at your vaginal area through a speculum.
They can then examine the area affected by the fungus using a microscope.
You will be asked questions about your symptoms and any changes you have noted.
The doctor will look for visible signs of infection such as a whitish discharge from the vaginal area or thickened and discolored spermicides.
Some women will also experience a foul odor coming from the vaginal area.
Other symptoms may include pain during sexual intercourse or burning while urinating.
This will help eliminate the possibility of selection for a more thorough exam in a lab.
When To See A Doctor
Its best to see a doctor to confirm the presence of a yeast infection, even if you plan to use at-home remedies. Sometimes other infections can be mistaken for yeast infections.
Also, talk with your doctor if your yeast infection doesnt improve after using home remedies or OTC medications. You may need a prescription medication.
Read Also: What Takes Off Nail Polish
Baking Soda And Yeast Infections
Be sure to speak to your healthcare provider before using a baking soda solution to ensure that you have a correct diagnosis, and whether is safe for you to use. You may have a different infection about two-thirds of people who buy OTC yeast infection treatments don’t have yeast infections after all.
What Causes A Yeast Infection
Antibiotics are one of the most common culprits in causing yeast infections, because they destroy vaginal bacteria and thereby disrupt the balance of power among the vaginal microorganisms. This balance is also affected by hormone levels, so women are more prone to yeast infections if theyre using hormonal contraceptives, during pregnancy, or just prior to menstruation. Yeast infections are also more common in women with compromised immune systems due to illnesses like diabetes, AIDS, or cancer. In fact, anything that weakens your immune systemstress, lack of sleep, consumption of alcohol, and even refined sugarcan lead to an overgrowth of yeast.
You May Like: How To Treat Brown Grass Fungus
Wear A Swimming Suit While Swimming
If you know youre going to be around wet places like pools and swimming pools when youre going on vacation, be sure to wear a swimming suit the entire time.
The last thing you want to do is come back from your trip and have a fungal infection all over you again.
And the best way to avoid this is to wear a swimming suit while in this environment.
Can A Yeast Infection Be Prevented
You can prevent some yeast infections by doing these things:
- Use good oral hygiene to help prevent yeast infection in your mouth . This includes brushing and flossing your teeth every day and using mouthwash as needed.
- Wear cotton underwear to help to prevent a vaginal or genital yeast infection. If you are a woman and get vaginal yeast infections often, you may want to take probiotics.
- Keep areas where skin rubs up against skin dry and try to reduce friction.
Don’t Miss: What Can You Do To Strengthen Your Nails
Good Sleep And Stay Away From Stress
Sleep is another way, on how you can boost your immune system against Candida.
Bacteria love a warm, dark, moist place to live, so the bodys optimal temperature is ideal if you want to get rid of it.
Many people find that going to bed at night before going to sleep on a cold night makes them feel refreshed throughout the day.
If you do not like the idea of sleeping with a blanket, spread some pillows underneath your head so that you will not have to worry about feeling cold.
Sleep takes away stress and tiredness, which allows Candida to begin to die off.
Vaginal Yeast Infection Causes
So what causes vaginal candida overgrowth? Stress, poorly controlled blood sugaras is the case in diabetesgut dysbiosis, and medication like antibiotics can leave you susceptible to overgrowth, Brighten says. The pill is a common culprit in the development of yeast infections.
Yeast infections have been linked to high estrogen levels, which is why women who are pregnant or are taking estrogen birth control seem to be prone to yeast infections.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Need To Do Acrylic Nails At Home
How Can I Prevent Future Yeast Infections
The best way to reduce your risk of getting a yeast infection is to avoid things that promote the growth of yeast. Heres how:
- Keep the vaginal area clean and dry. After showering, dry the area thoroughly. Always remove wet swimsuits and exercise clothes right away and change into cotton pants without underwear. Limit the amount of time you spend in hot tubs or very hot baths.
- Let the area breathe. Wear cotton, not nylon, underwear and avoid tights and pantyhose without a cotton lining, as well as tight pants. Consider not wearing underwear during sleep to allow some airflow.
- Watch your sugar intake, including alcohol! Sugar is the main food source for yeast.
- Take probiotics, especially if you are taking antibiotics. Probiotics, found in cultured foods like yogurt and especially in Activia, help restore your normal vaginal bacteria.
- Finally, always avoid douches, feminine sprays, deodorant tampons, and even bubble baths, which may contain chemicals that can be irritating.