What Is The Outcome For Someone Who Has Nail Fungus
With treatment, many people can get rid of nail fungus. Even when the fungus clears, your nail may look unhealthy until the infected nail grows out. A fingernail grows out in 4 to 6 months and a toenail in 12 to 18 months.
To clear the fungus, its important to:
Use the treatment exactly as prescribed
Apply the medicine for as long as prescribed
Keep all follow-up appointments with your dermatologist
Nail fungus can be stubborn. If you had a severe infection, its possible to clear the infection. A healthy looking nail, however, may be unrealistic, but you can expect the nail to look better and feel more comfortable.
Even with clearing, nail fungus can return. Youll find steps to reduce your risk in Tips: 12 ways to prevent another nail infection.
ReferenceGold LFS and Rosen T. Onychomycosis: Diagnosis, treatment, and prevention strategies. Dermatology News . March 2016:2-15.
Soak Your Feet In Vinegar
Heres another pantry item that can deliver optimal results for toenail fungal infections. According to Hayag, applying white vinegar to the fungal-infected areas can prove worthwhile, thanks to its antibacterial properties.
Similar to oregano oil, applying white vinegar topically on fungus-infected toenails has some anecdotal evidence that supports its antibacterial benefits. Soak your foot in one part vinegar to two parts warm water for up to 20 minutes daily, she suggests, saying that this can help with the fungus, help with just the discoloration, or it may not help at all, depending on how your toes react.
Q How To Cure Toenail Fungus With Bleach
Ans-However, bleach isnt a good idea. It can irritate the skin, especially people with sensitive skin tone though some people appreciate the positive results of bleach to treat toenail fungus.
Add one tbsp. bleach in some water and soak the feet for 5-7 minutes. Repeat once a day for a few weeks.
You must ask an expert before using bleach powder.
Read Also: Essie Gel Couture How To Use
Keep After Your Feet Even If It Looks Like The Fungus Is Gone
The same fungus that causes athletes foot is the one that will infect the nails. So after youve treated the fungus and it looks like its out, the patient still has a lot of responsibility, Dr. Lipner says. You need to make sure it doesnt come back by applying an antifungal producta basic athletes foot productto your feet daily. If you get the fungus invading your feet, youll probably get it back in your nails, too. Apply an antifungal cream, spray, or powder to the shoes or the feet daily, she says. To some people, its a habit like brushing your teeth. For others, getting them to do it is like pulling teeth.
Factors That Increase The Risk Of Nail Fungus
- Wearing tight shoes all day. Sandals are better try to wear them when you can.
- Playing a lot of sports. Long-distance running or any other endurance sport can make your feet very sweaty. Remaining in that state for a long period of time puts you at high risk.
- Not changing your socks frequently enough. Socks can absorb moisture and create a breeding ground for fungus.
- Athletes foot. The fungus that causes this condition can spread to your nails.
- A humid environment. This makes it easy for you to develop fungus on both your fingernails and toenails.
- Damage to the nail particularly if it occurs regularly. Wounds are especially prone to infection.
- Going barefoot in communal areas. In places such as locker rooms and around swimming pools, its better to wear flip-flops.
- Using artificial nails. They can cause an allergic reaction or wear down the nails, making them more vulnerable.
Onychomycosis is the proper term for nail fungus. Common symptoms are thickened, brittle, and discolored nails.
Read Also: How Do U Remove Nail Polish From Carpet
About Fungal Nail Infection
Many people develop a fungal nail infection at some point in their life. Its not usually serious, but can be unpleasant and difficult to treat.
The infection develops slowly and causes the nail to become discoloured, thickened and distorted.
Toenails are more frequently affected than the fingernails.
The medical name for a fungal nail infection is onychomycosis.
You May Like: Does Lotrimin Work On Nail Fungus
Best Creams Nail Polish Or Tablets For Nail Fungus
Topical treatment with nail fungus may take up to one year. Tablets for treating this kind of fungal nail infections generally have to be taken for several weeks or months. Tablets are more effective than topical treatments, but they have side effects too. The treatment options for nail fungus include creams, nail polishes, as well as tablets. Toenail fungus treatment cream and nail polishes can be procured from pharmacies without a prescription .
You May Like: How To Kill Nail Fungus Fast
Also Check: How Much Does Nail Tech School Cost
What Is Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungus is usually an infection of the toenail caused by opportunistic fungi, explains Oliva. It may cause your nail to turn a yellow or white hue, thicken, or crumble at the outer edges.
While toenail fungus can occur in people of all ages, board-certified dermatologist Marie Hayag, MD, says that its most common in older folks. As the nail ages, it is prone to becoming brittle and dry, which can result in cracks in the nails that make it susceptible to fungal infections, she explains, noting that all of the aforementioned causes can be even more of a concern as a result.
Meet the Expert
- , MD, is a board-certified dermatologist practicing in Manhattan. She is an assistant clinical professor at Mount Sinai Hospital and also teaches in the Dermatology Departments surgery clinic.
- Francisco Oliva, DPM, is a Miami-based podiatrist who has been in private practice for 25+ years.
Nevertheless, because developing a toenail fungus can occur at all ages, we reveal the best ways to treat toenail fungus at home, below.
Does Toenail Fungus Turn Black After It Dies
Yes, a detached toenail can turn black after it dies.
- The most common pathway for this to happen is for fungus to an infected toenail. The toenail then can start to rip away from the toe after it gets thick and black.
- This can cause dry blood to form between the toenail and the skin, and eventually, the toenail dies.
- The toenail then starts to rot and become overrun by bacteria and toenail fungus.
- This eventually can make toenail fungus turn black after it dies.
Also Check: How Does Toothpaste Remove Sns Nails
What Is The Best Home Remedy For Athletes Foot
Most mild cases of athletes foot dont require a trip to the doctor or medicationyou might be able to take care of it from home. If you begin to notice the signs of an infection, you can try one of these remedies before visiting a healthcare provider:
- Hydrogen peroxide: You might have used hydrogen peroxide to clear bacteria from a cut or scrape, and it works the same way for fungi. It can also help prevent bacterial infection of any sores or blisters.
- Garlic: Garlic has antimicrobial properties that can be effective in treating fungal infections. You can rub crushed cloves directly on the affected area or take an oral dose of ajoene, the chemical found in garlic.
- Tea tree oil: Applied directly to the feet, tea tree oil can help relieve athletes foot symptoms.
- Talcum powder: The main benefit of talcum powder is keeping your feet cool and dry, inhibiting the growth and spread of fungal cells. Its best used as a supplement to other forms of treatment.
- Epsom salt: Prepare a foot soak with some Epsom salt and it may help draw out the moisture that fungi love so much. Plus it feels great on your feet.
- Baking soda: Another foot soak ingredient, baking soda has antifungal properties that can help combat athletes foot.
- Apple cider vinegar: Vinegars acidity can effectively kill fungus, and if you use it in a foot bath, it may help relieve itching as well.
What Is Nail Fungus
Nail fungus onychomycosis is a common and stubborn nail disease. The discomfort and discolor start from beneath the nail tip. However, it is more on the toes than the fingernails. This infection is common in older males and can end in severe lower leg cellulitis.
Research shows that nail fungus may reoccur in about 10% of the adult population. Some of its major symptoms include:
- Discolored nails dyschromia to white, black, green, or yellow
- Nail thickening
- You may have psychosocial issues because of ugly fingernails
- Formation of a gap between the nail and its bed
- The lower leg may experience cellulitis
- Dermatophytes are skin lesions like allergies brought by the fungus to other body parts
- If severe, its inflamed, brittle, filthy smell, and painful nails
Now, you have the above knowledge about the signs of this irritating finger and toe nail infection. Next, is a quick look at the conditions that trigger such fungal growth. In addition, a list of a few humble methods that help to clear the fungus off from your body.
Read More:Acrylic Nails Types, Cost and Problems
Also Check: How To Take Off Contacts With Acrylics
Signs And Symptoms Of Green Nail Syndrome
The Characteristic Features Of Green Nail Syndrome Are Mentioned Below:
- The nail stops growing when affected with green nail syndrome.
- A characteristic appearance of green and thickened nail instead of a normal appearing nail is one of the most common sign and symptom of green nail syndrome.
- The nail when affected with this syndrome will be excessively curved.
- Loss of the strip of hardened skin at the base and sides of a fingernail or cuticles may also occur once affected with green nail syndrome.
- In this case, the nail will be separated from the nail bed and might start falling out in worst cases.
- In some of the cases, the nail bed and the soft tissue is also affected. The entire soft tissue or the soft tissue at the edge of the nails is affected in many cases. And both toenails and finger nails can be affected by the condition.
- Green nail syndrome is also found to be present in greater frequency in individuals with certain forms of cancer and other conditions/disorders like immunodeficiency syndromes, nephritic syndrome, thyroid disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Natural Remedies For Fungal Nail Infections
Nail fungus remedies are sometimes used to treat fungal infections in the toenails or fingernails. Also referred to as onychomycosis, nail fungus is often difficult to treat with conventional medicine. But while natural nail fungus remedies are widely used, there is very little scientific support for their effectiveness.
To date, very few studies have tested the use of natural nail fungus remedies. Here’s a look at some natural substances often recommended in the treatment of nail fungus.
This photo contains content that some people may find graphic or disturbing.
DermNet / CC BY-NC-ND
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Dip Powder Nail Polish At Home
Complications: What If The Infection Is Left Untreated
If the nail fungus spreads deeper into the nail bed, it will cause the nail to thicken and turn green, yellow, brown, or black. As the infection progresses, the infected nail becomes brittle and pieces of it will start to break off from the toe or finger completely. Should the condition be left untreated, it can spread to other nails or cause skin around the infected nail to become inflamed. In more advanced stages, a foul smell may develop and white or yellow patches may be seen on the exposed nail bed. Over time, severe fungal nail infections can cause permanent damage to the nail root or nail bed.
It can be quite embarrassing to have this condition since this is an infection thats hard to hide. People with Onychomycosis may also find it difficult or painful to wear shoes, walk, or stand for long periods of time if their toenails have been infected severely.
Possible Causes Of Yellow Nails
If your nails have been damaged by dyes or harsh products, new nail growth should be a healthy, clear color. If your nails continue to be yellow, there may be something else going on in your body. Sometimes having yellow nails can be an indication of something more serious. Vitamin or mineral deficiencies can cause nails to appear yellow, and introducing a multivitamin supplement to your regiment may stop the problem.
In some cases, nails that remain yellow despite repeated treatment can be a symptom of thyroid conditions, psoriasis, or diabetes. In rare situations, yellow nails can indicate the presence of skin cancer. A condition called yellow nail syndrome is indicated by continually yellow nails and respiratory or lymphatic problems.
You May Like: Vicks Vapor Rub Fungus
White Vinegar Or Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is slightly acidic, so natural remedies like apple cider vinegar work to balance the pH of the skin. It also helps to prevent the fungus from spreading and kills bacteria and fungi. Mix equal parts vinegar and water and soak the infected area for 30 minutes daily. Make sure to thoroughly dry your foot after.
How To Make A Vinegar Foot Soak
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Fortunately, theres a simple solution to your woes, and it can be found in your kitchen.
Also Check: How To Get Nail Glue Out Of Carpet
Toenail Fungus Prescription Medications
Sometimes prescription medications are needed to treat a toenail infection that just wont go away with natural remedies or over-the-counter medication in a few months. In this case, prescription-strength antifungal medication can eradicate stubborn onychomycosis.
Topical medications often are effective in treating mild to moderate toenail fungus. Topical solutions may include medicated nail polishes or liquid medications. Loprox , Penlac , Kerydin , and Jublia are among the top prescription drugs for toenail fungus.
Q How To Cure Really Bad Toenail Fungus
Ans- Antifungal supplements are the traditional ways to cure toenails fungus. Moreover, some of the home remedies can also help, and some of the popular remedies are:-
- Apply tea tree oil to the affected part with a cotton ball twice daily.
- Apply oregano oil twice a day, or you can mix it with tea tree oil.
- Apply freshly chopped or crushed garlic to the affected area twice a day.
- Consult your doctor regularly and continue the medication.
- Maintain foot hygiene, trim the nails on the edges.
- Always wash your hands properly after touching your feet.
You May Like: Where To Donate Nails And Screws
When Should I Call The Doctor
In rare cases, toenail fungus can cause an infection called cellulitis. Without prompt treatment, cellulitis may pose a serious danger to your health.
You should seek treatment guidance from a trusted healthcare provider if you have:
- Circulation problems.
- Redness, pain or pus near the toenail.
- Weakened immune system.
Do Not Keep You Nails Wet For Long Duration
Most of us feel relaxed after taking long hot baths in bath tubs and pools but we might not know that keeping the nails wet for a long duration of time makes them more vulnerable to the fungal infections.
So, if you enjoy long baths, make sure that you dry your nails well after the bath to stay away from infections.
Recommended Reading: Are Nail Salons Open In La County Now
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is very famous for its amazing and powerful beauty effects as well as health effects. In terms of skin and nail issues, apple cider vinegar is actually one of the best remedies for fingernail fungus infection as well. This acidic home remedy can help to ward off bacteria and prevent other skin and nail areas from being infected by fungus. I suggest that you and other people who are suffering from the fingernail fungus or also some other infections should make use of this ingredient because it can act well for a great deal of purposes. You can make use of the organic apple cider vinegar lotion in 2 different ways:
Prepare equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar and use the mixture to apply onto your nails for about 30 minutes. Practice makes perfect, so you need to apply this tip every day and do not forget do pat the infected area dry after each soak session.
Take 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and put them both into a spray bottle. Use this spray to apply under your each fingernail every night before going to sleep so that you will be able to heal and regain the natural beauty of your nails fast and effectively.
In fact, this is also one of the best and most effective home remedies for fingernail fungus that people should not skip but try making use to stop the current concern fast and safely without making use of any type of costly yet useless creams or medical interventions.
What Should I Ask My Healthcare Provider About Toenail Fungus
If you have toenail fungus, you may find it helpful to ask your provider:
- What type of infection do I have?
- Do you recommend I treat it? Why or why not?
- How long will I need treatment?
- What steps can I take to stop it from coming back?
- Should I be aware of any potentially serious complications or treatment side effects?
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Toenail fungus is an incredibly common infection that can be difficult to treat. The condition usually isnt painful, but it may make you feel self-conscious about how your foot looks. If it bothers you, talk to your provider about your treatment options. A trained specialist can provide guidance on whats most likely to address your concerns while protecting your overall health.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 12/17/2020.
Read Also: Vicks Mentholatum Toenail Fungus