How Is Toenail Fungus Treated
Toenail fungus is notoriously tricky to treat. You may need to treat the condition for several months to get rid of the fungus. Still, toenail fungus often comes back.
A dermatologist or podiatrist can explain your treatment options. If you have a mild case that doesnt bother you, your provider may recommend no treatment.
Toenail fungus treatment options include:
- Oral antifungal medication: You take prescribed medication, such terbinafine , itraconazole and fluconazole , to treat the fungi. You will need to take this medication every day for several months . Your provider may use blood tests to check for potential medication side effects. These medications can affect the liver and interact with other medications, so oral antifungals are not for everyone.
- Topical medication: You regularly apply a medication right on the nail. The medication treats the fungi over time. Topical medications are most effective when paired with oral medications.
- Laser treatments: Your provider directs a high-tech laser beam and special lights at the toenail to treat the fungus. Lasers are FDA approved for temporary increase of clear nail in nail fungus but is not a cure. Cure rates for laser treatment are lower than oral and topical mediations so they are not typically used as first-line treatments for nail fungus.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Tinea Manuum Infections
Raw unprocessed apple cider vinegar can also be used as a natural hand fungus treatment or for ringworm on your palm.
The benefits of apple cider vinegar for fungal infections come from the high levels of acetic acid. The acidic content of apple cider vinegar helps to reduce itching and also destroy germs, fungi, and bacteria on the skin.
For example, the journal Microbiology Research reported that acetic acid can inhibit the growth of various fungi. Acetic acid does this by lowering the pH levels of the skin to a level where fungi cannot multiply. This can help to treat outbreaks of hand fungus without the side effects caused by some pharmaceutical drugs.14
How to use apple cider vinegar as a hand fungus home remedy:
It is very easy and cheap to use apple cider vinegar to get rid of a fungus hand rash that itches and has crusted over. This is what you should do:
You can also use ACV for treating different kinds of yeast infections. It can also be diluted with water to make a natural cleansing toner for your face or help get rid of acne outbreaks naturally.
What Is A Fungal Nail Infection
A fungal nail infection is a common condition that can leave you with brittle, discolored nails, usually on your toes.
Its formal name is onychomycosis, and itâs a lot like athleteâs foot. But instead of affecting the skin on the bottom of your feet or between your toes, it invades your nails.
Fungi are tiny organisms you can only see through a microscope. Many different types can cause a nail infection. Sometimes they live on your skin and donât make any trouble. But if you have a lot in one area, you might get infected.
Donât be embarrassed if you have toenail or fingernail fungus. Itâs way more common than you think.
Read Also: How Do You Apply Color Street Nails
What Are Fungal Nail Infection Treatments
In the past, medicines used to treat fungal nail infection were minimally effective. Fungal nail infection is difficult to treat because nails grow slowly and receive very little blood supply. However, recent advances in treatment options, including oral and topical medications, have been made. Newer oral medicines have improved treatment of fungal nail infection. However, the rate of recurrence is high, even with newer medicines. Treatment has certain risks, and recurrence is possible.
Dermatologists Explain The Cause Of Nail Fungus
Do you or someone you love suffer from nail fungus? Its a common problem that can happen to anyone, but there are a few individuals who are at a higher risk than others. Did you know that your age, health, and lifestyle can all play a part in whether you will develop those unsightly, thickened surface, yellow nailbeds?
You May Like: How Much Does Nail School Cost
Fungal Nail Infection Prevention
Itâs a good idea to wash your hands and feet often. Use soap, and make sure you get between your fingers and toes.
Keep your fingernails and toenails short and trimmed straight across.
Wear socks that wick away moisture. If your feet sweat a lot, change your socks once or twice a day, or take off your shoes and let your feet cool when you have the chance.
Use antifungal powder or spray on your feet as well as in your shoes. Throw away old pairs of closed-toe shoes since fungi might be living in them.
If you get manicures at nail salons, visit only the ones that disinfect tools after each client. You can also bring your own file and clippers from home. Ask them not to cut your cuticles, since this can cause tiny breaks in the skin that let germs in.
Donât share towels if someone else in your family has nail fungus. This will pass around the infection.
Living With A Nail Fungal Infection
If you have a nail fungal infection, some things can help:
- Keep your nails cut short and file down any thick areas.
- Dont use the same nail trimmer and file on healthy nails and infected nails. If you have your nails professionally manicured, bring your own nail file and trimmer from home.
- Wear waterproof gloves for wet work . Wear 100% cotton gloves for dry work.
- Wear socks made of wicking material . This pulls moisture away from the skin. Change your socks when they are damp from sweat or if your feet get wet. Put on clean, dry socks every day. Put over-the-counter antifungal foot powder inside your socks to keep your feet dry.
- Wear shoes with good support and a wide toe area. Dont wear pointed shoes that press your toes together.
- Avoid walking barefoot in public areas, such as locker rooms.
Recommended Reading: Applying Dashing Diva Gel Strips
Symptoms Of Hand Fungus Or Fungus On Fingers
When you get fungus on your fingers or hand, youll notice the following symptoms:
- The infected area on your hand will normally start small and gradually become larger over time.
- The infection will start on the palm and may or may not spread to your fingers and the back of your hand.
- The area infected with tinea will be itchy, red, and have a scaly appearance.
- The infected area may also peel and flake.
- The rashes will be circular with raised borders.
- Discoloration of skin at the infected area would happen.
- Blisters would be formed on the palms of your hands and will result in itching and burning.
- Blisters may appear in clusters that will ooze fluid and can even bleed if your skin becomes dry or cracked.
Related Reading: Maculopapular Rash: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
How To Get Rid Of Fingernail Fungus From Acrylic Nails
Nail fungus can be treated through two ways, first the conventional ways such as visiting the doctors and dermatologist , and the second way of treatment is some home remedies. We will share both the prevalent ways to treat nail fungus caused by acrylic nails.
The good way is to go for the Conventional methods which are more reliable than normal home remedies which gonna take months and months to kill the fungus.
However, there are many ways in which, you can get as efficient results as you would get after a medical checkup and prescription from the doctor and that way is to have a good combination of a natural ingredients medicine for fungus and the home remedies and about this, you can check out detailed guide on the methods for the treatment of nail fungus here.
The conventional methods are both cheap and costly, the pills are cheap and also fix fungus within like two months, however, the other treatment i.e. laser, will be costly. But both of these methods will give you very fast results.
Lets discuss both the conventional methods and the home remedies.
Recommended Reading: Can Vinegar Kill Foot Fungus
You May Like: How To Apply Dashing Diva Nail Strips
How Do You Get A Fungal Nail Infection
Most fungal nail infections occur as a result of the fungi that cause athlete’s foot infecting the nails.
These fungi often live harmlessly on your skin, but they can sometimes multiply and lead to infections. The fungi prefer warm, dark and moist places like the feet.
You’re more likely to get a fungal nail infection if you:
- don’t keep your feet clean and dry
- wear shoes that cause your feet to get hot and sweaty
- walk around barefoot in places where fungal infections can spread easily, such as communal showers, locker rooms and gyms
- have damaged your nails
- have a weakened immune system
- have certain other health conditions, such as diabetes, psoriasis or peripheral arterial disease
Fungal nail infections can be spread to other people, so you should take steps to avoid this if you have an infection.
Is It Possible To Prevent The Recurrence Of Nail Fungus
Tinea pedis, also known as athlete’s foot or foot fungus, can cause recurrence of fungal nails. Therefore, it is important to manage this condition. One can apply over-the-counter antifungal medicines such as clotrimazole or terbinafine cream as directed to affected skin. Keeping footwear and socks clean can be helpful. You can also use portable UV light sanitizers to disinfect shoes.
Recommended Reading: Where To Donate Nails And Screws
When To See A Doctor
In most cases, toenail fungus is considered a cosmetic problem. Still, it may cause serious complications for some people.
If you have diabetes, toenail fungus may lead to foot ulcers or other foot problems. According to a 2012 study, chronic toenail fungus is a significant risk factor for bacterial cellulitis of the leg.
If you have diabetes or a weakened immune system, you shouldnt use home remedies for toenail fungus. Contact your doctor for the appropriate course of action.
Signs And Symptoms Of A Fungal Nail Infection
A fungal nail infection may not cause any obvious symptoms at first.
As it progresses, the infection can cause:
- discolouration of the nail it may turn white, black, yellow or green
- thickening and distortion of the nail it may become an unusual shape or texture and be difficult to trim
- pain or discomfort particularly when using or placing pressure on the affected toe or finger
- brittle or crumbly nails pieces may break off and come away completely
Sometimes the skin nearby may also become infected and be itchy and cracked or red and swollen.
Recommended Reading: Average Price For Dip Nails
Skin Fungus Killers Toenail Fungus Treatment Jiang Xi Liu
Woman Gets Rid Of Toenail Fungus In 10 Minutes Toenail Turning Black From Fungus How To Cure Hand Nail Fungus At Home. How To End Fungus Body Attack Chin Armpits Inside Elbows Toes And Toe Nails Toe Nail Fungus Chlorine. Toenail Fungus Prescription Medilowescation New Black Fungus Spot On Toe. Hydrogen Peroxide Baking Soda Nail Fungus Melanoma Under Toenail Fungus.
Nail Fungus Ruben How Long Does Apple Cider Vinegar Take To Cure Toenail Fungus. Vix On Foot Fungus New Treatments Toenail Fungus Side Effects Of Medication For Toenail Fungus. Homeopathic Treatment Nail Fungus Apple Vinegar For Nail Fungus.
Treating The Fungus With Prescription Drugs
You May Like: Does Vicks Work On Nail Fungus
Home Remedies For Fingernail Fungus Infection
Fingernail fungus is very itchy and irritating, and in some cases, this can lead to the feeling of pain on skin. It was also widely known as the result of sensitive and dry skin,caused by the skin water deficiency and can sometimes even cause skin redness. The situation can turn to be painful, embarrassing, and all-around nasty rapidly. Thus, you will need to take extra care while treating this problem. In fact, this infection can happen on both your toenails and fingernails and can cover around 6-8% of all adult population.
What Is The Outlook For Someone With Toenail Fungus
While toenail fungus is common, its usually not harmful. Symptoms mostly affect the look of your toenail.
Toenail fungus may spread to the skin between your toes or other areas of your body. When getting dressed, put your socks on first to reduce the chance of spread.
Treating toenail fungus takes a long time, and it doesnt always work. Even then, toenail fungus often returns. Discuss the pros and cons of treating toenail fungus with your provider to determine whats best for you.
Practicing good hygiene and foot care reduces the chance toenail fungus will come back. If you have diabetes, getting regular foot exams may help you address foot problems before they get serious.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Get Contacts Out With Long Nails
A Pharmacist Can Help With Fungal Nail Infections
Speak to a pharmacist if the look of your nail bothers you or it’s painful.
They may suggest:
- antifungal nail cream it can take up to 12 months to cure the infection and does not always work
- nail-softening cream it’s used for 2 weeks to soften the nail so the infected part can be scraped off
The infection is cured when you see healthy nail growing back at the base.
What Is A Fungal Infection
Fungus, plural fungi is a class of organisms with over 144,000 known species. Fungus holds great importance for the environment and medical sector. Fungi are considered as one of the most widely distributed organisms worldwide Some are found free-living in soil or water others from parasitic or symbiotic relationships with plants or animals. Some common examples of fungi include Mushroom, mildews and mold. However, not all types of fungi are harmful but some can cause severe suffering for human beings and other living organisms.
Fungal infections are common all over the world and it only occurs when an invading fungus captures over the human body and the immune system of human is too weak to combat. Fungi are populated in our environment and are found flying freely in the atmosphere, they also divide and reproduce in the tiny spores that are present in the air. These fungi that are not visible to eh naked eye can enter into the human body through our respiratory system and can land inside to form a parasitic relationship within our lungs, throat, liver or any other hospitable part of the body causing a severe infection. In some cases, fungi also attack the intestines or the genital area of the human body causing severe hazard to health however, almost all the infection caused by fungus are curable with proper care and treatment.
Also Check: What Is Nail Bed Fungus
Read Also: Can You Put Acrylic On A Green Nail
How Do I Know If I Have A Fungal Nail Infection
Because other infections can affect the nail and mimic symptoms of a fungal nail infection, the only way to confirm a diagnosis is to see a doctor. Theyll take a scraping of the nail and look under a microscope for signs of fungus.
In some cases, your doctor may send the sample to a lab for analysis and identification.
Over-the-counter products arent usually recommended to treat nail infections since they dont provide reliable results. Instead, your doctor may prescribe an oral antifungal medication, such as: